Stolen images !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Great recommendation LazySod, TinEye looks amazing! Combined with the Firefox plugin it makes it so easy to check the images on your own site, im sure that'll be a powerful tool to you Wayland. It dosen't catch everything but im sure as the sites popularity grows they will strive to increase their indexing of images.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
This is what you are referring to and "fair use" or "fair dealing" would certainly not cover taking someones image and using it in any commercial venture.

Never said it was. Was replying to a post that was doom and gloom about the current copyright & patent situation.

But I believe it is still possible to claim to fair use whilst profiteering. It is just alot more difficult to get a court to agree.

One case in the US is Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc., and whilst you might say that is US law... we're both signed up to the "Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works", so don't see how our laws can be that different, without looking into it deeper.

Obviously the specific instance the thread was started about, seemingly doesn't have a leg to stand on. Much like the much publicised Virgin Mobile case had a while back.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have no problem with the creative commons system but I don't know much about it.

If I understand it, it's a way of specifying a range of uses that a picture can be used for by other people. That's all well and good if you want to put your work out there for free but I don't.

My picture library may very well be part my pension when I'm too old to drag my carcass in and out of schools anymore.

I already sell a small number of pictures as it is without any particular marketing, but in the future I want to make a proper job of it, so the last thing I want to do is jeopardise that by handing my work out free to all and sundry.

The pictures I post up on the internet are only small, relatively useless images when it comes to printing, but the files I keep here are much more capable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE