Stoat or weasel ?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I'll post some phone pics later but it was about 20cm long and out of proportion big ears and a tail, about 2/3 the length of the body. The tail had a distinct black tip, almost like it had been dipped in a tin of paint. When it saw me 10secs later it almost squared up at me from about ten feet away, certainly pretty fearless of me.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
stoats are bigger than weasles but a small stoat and a large weasle can be the same size and unless you have something to compare to it is difficult to judge size at a distance anyway. The black tip to the tail is the thing to look for so this one is defo stoat.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Miyagi,

I saw some dog walkers. I walked around the castle then along the shore, beach combing, then in at the burn that comes down from Abercorn. Then back along SUSTRANS 76 to the bridge then back tot he castle.

Did I walk past you ?

The Stoat seems to have a burrow right on the shore at the castle wall. Spotted some bones and poo there.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
S_C_R,

I was on the top path above the woods, scouting out hammock sites. I didn't go down towards the castle as it means jumping a deep burn and clambering over fallen trunks. The river at Abercorn is Midhope Burn, great to cool off in on a hot day.

If you saw a brown and white collie with his owner huffing and puffing along - that was me.

Liam

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I can’t tell from the vid but as Miyagi and robin wood said a black tip on the tail is diagnostic of stoat,.

Ok, 100% dipped tail, so Stoat !

Two Doctors of Biology at school agreed it was a Stoat too.

Next ID what killed this ?

No ring of Feathers plucked so I'm thinking not a Sparrowhawk but a fox ?
Found on the edge of the Sustrans 76 woods.

IMAG29621.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE