stitching pony

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
They have their uses for some items, but you won't use them on everything. You can make one very simply with some timber, leather scraps and a bungee cord. It would be good enough to see if you want to put effort into making a good one.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you stitch 2mm or above leather in the proper saddle stitch and awl way, and especially if you use waxed linen to do so, I can assure you from experience that a pony and/or a saddler's clam will save you great deal of major grief with your hands later in life; I've done a lot of harness fitting and modification for years, and when I was younger I poo-pood the use of them and although I felt no ill effects at the time I have this year had three lots of surgery on my hands and have been unable to do anything at all; pretty much no crafts or tool work for twelve months and another twelve to go 'till they're mended; It has not been fun, to say the least! The consultant who did the surgery was in no doubt at all as to what had caused the problem.

Obviously it depends on how much of this you're going to do, but for the minimal time and money it takes to make something up itb doesn't make sense not to try it out at least. I'm a firm believer in encouraging people to think about the consequences of working with their hands, and believe there are real benefits to be had from taking precautions to alleviate
problems that may not become apparent until later in life - I certainly wish I'd taken the advice I was given by men and women who could see what I was potentially doing to myself, but I knew better :-(................

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A decent stitching pony will take up hardly any space - it can be easily stowed away or hung on a wall in the shed............
I have to sleep now as I have early doors these days, but I'll try and dig out a few plans for the making of these over the next few days :)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Tandy do a small one.

Well worth getting one even if you aren't doing loads. It really makes life a lot easier.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'll have to sort you some pictures of my clams but it's really simple.

Two lengths of baton, a spacer of wood at one end, screw through each baton to join. At the clamping end, a 'cord' of leather stuck along the jaws to make a noticeable 'step' then a scrap of leather wrapped over the top and glued to make it smooth.

a temporary set made years ago that have lasted, well, years.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I have a very simple one I threw together from some pine peices and some screws (mostly the left overs from a piece of ikea furniture-don't ask why i have left overs!)

Very easy to throw together, and while it did make things a bit easier, I must admit I have only used it once since I made it about 2 months ago.

Ste

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I made one and then rarely used it. Problem was fitting awkward shaped stuff in it - especially the quivers I make. Probably my technique at fault.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I use mine a lot Sam, I made a simple one out of pine, a hinge and a couple of scraps of leather meaning to make a good one if I found I used it enough. I do but have never got round to making another as it works well so why reinvent the wheel :)

I'll take a pic if you want its not pretty but works we'll and I can sit with it betweeen my legs or just stand it on the dining room table then stand to work.

It also started with a wing nut to clamp the work but I found that a pain so now use a simple spring clamp, the type sold for diy. I also use a smll rubber ball at the bottom so it acts as a spring to make the jaws open automatically when I release the clamp which I can do on handed.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE