Still looking for a new tent! (Snugpak Stratosphere?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Yes I’m still looking for a new tent and happened across the Snugpak Stratosphere hooped bivvy. Only 1.1kgs and seems to tick just about all the boxes for what I am looking for but wondering if any of you folks have any opinions on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Yes I’m still looking for a new tent and happened across the Snugpak Stratosphere hooped bivvy. Only 1.1kgs and seems to tick just about all the boxes for what I am looking for but wondering if any of you folks have any opinions on it?

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Had one not keen. I didn't like the claustrophobic feel, it really is a bivi and not a proper shelter if that makes sense, just a sleeping space.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Akto has enough room, a rain protected entrance and it is well ventilated.

You can sit up. The fabric lasts for decades if treated well and doesn't degrade by aging like polyurethane coated polyester.
The tent is storm proof.

Don't you like just tarp or poncho and bivvy bag? That's very light and pretty comfortable in my opinion.

Defcon 5 poncho 350g
Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag 340g
Together 690 g.

Packing size together perhaps 1 litre?

Investment round about 130 €.

In my opinion it's far better like this, instead of using such a hooped bivvy tent with horrible condensation problems.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I got a Stratosphere for my son, as has been said above, its basically a large bivi, he's stayed dry and hasn't complained.

It all depends on what your needs are, a tent or a bivi.

I had both the Phoenix Mountaineering Phreeranger and Phreerunner, the former has been sold on and was an ace tent and highly respected, even now. I only kept the Phreerunner as that's the single GoreTex skin version :) and I no longer need both.
If I don't need the tent then it'll be a GTX bivi bag (Phoenix Mountaineering, again) maybe a tarp as well.

Trekkertent make their version of the Phreeranger, along with other tents & shelters, probably more £'s than the Snugpak but sometimes it's worth it and the resale value would be far greater!

(I've no affiliation, etc; to TT, just a fan of the design).

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Dogoak

Did your son use the Snugpak Stratosphere in the summer only or in cold conditions too?

Most tents work well if it's warm and dry outside. The problems usually start if it gets colder and the complete disaster appears if it gets whet and cold.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
One should remember the climbers who died in their GoreTex tents when the material froze solid. Unintended consequences are many.

Reactions: Erbswurst
Oct 5, 2020
Peak District
I use a Stratosphere along with a DD superlight tarp - had no issues at all but as other people have said it can be quite claustrophobic - no room to wiggle but the benefit of the tarp above the head area is you can just use the flynet layer above your face rather than fully zipping up and still stay dry, feels a little less claustrophobic and gets some ventilation going - definitely pros and cons to them but they're great for a swift pitch and quick exit, and combined with the tarp you can keep your kit dry next to you.

Also own the Journey Solo and really, really like it. I got given it for Christmas by my father (wouldn't have purchased both as they're too similar) and I tend to take this if I'm on anything longer than an overnighter or just fancy a slightly more comfortable time.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do I remember right that such low British tents are made according to laws about wild camping in some areas?

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
@Dogoak

Did your son use the Snugpak Stratosphere in the summer only or in cold conditions too?

Most tents work well if it's warm and dry outside. The problems usually start if it gets colder and the complete disaster appears if it gets whet and cold.

it was used in the summer and early winter, down to about -5°, I can't recall any moans and he knew to ventilate.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Very interesting would be how they behave around 5 to 0*C.

To hit ice from a coated plastic fabric is in my opinion better than water floating around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE