Still disappointed with greenland wax

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I gave my Fjalraven forester trousers 'knee area' another coating of greenland wax two weeks ago and they've already lost all water repelency. First time I applied 4 thin coats and used hair dryer in between, this time I used cool iron.
Otherwise the trousers are great so I think I will resort to Barbour wax next time.

Anyone else have the same problem?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
KAE1, out of curiosity, do you wash you forester trousers with normal detergent?

If you believe the Nikwax advertising then apparently normal detergents "leave behind water attractive residues which encourage ‘wetting-out’ "

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/produ...oductid=4&activityid=-1&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

I wash my barrent trousers and crahoppers in tech wash and also give them a wash with cotton proof.

I gave up with the wax as it was a faff to apply it.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Ashamed to say I've only washed them once since March. I am paranoid about scent when I am stalking and prefer my gear to have a more 'earthy' aroma.
Maybe its the amount of time I spend either crawling or kneeling in wet grass, maybe I am expecting too much:(

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Sounds like you need silent rainpants with mesh panel in the back.
Even `Tex materials wouldnt help you without wetting out.

I prefer ordinary rain pants over `Tex materals when working in wet and cold enviroments for example making a snow cave.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I am ok for wet weather trousers, I've got some realtree brushed fabric with waterproof membrane.The foresters are great for summer as they're really breatheable, I just do a lot of kneeling on wet grass and would like the greenland wax to do what it says on the tin, in my view it doesn't.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
I just do a lot of kneeling on wet grass and would like the greenland wax to do what it says on the tin

A different idea: How about knee pads?
I personally never feel wet when kneeling on wet grass (in the knee area ...)
because of the pads. They keep you warm. Think all materials get wet if you do this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE