Stihl forestry axe wow!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hi all,

So Iv seen a lot of posts on axes recently, so thought I'd pass on my experience. So the Stihl forestry axe I got for Christmas, after a lot of different axes that I didn't really get on with. I wanted an axe that would chop and split well, and wouldn't be huge or weigh a ton. Well, I can say no need to look any further! The axe has a nice handle length, and the head is a good shape. Cuts into wood deep, but when it comes to splitting, it does it as well as my GB splitting maul. (Which I was presently surprised with).
If the orange puts you off, then you can pay more and get the 1926 edition which looks more bushy! You can't really choke up and do fine work with it, but i don't personally want this, as it's what my kukri/hatchet is for.

Anyway thought I'd pop this up, as I know the search for a good axe can be a long hard road!
Thanks for listening! Links below

http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...xes-and-hammers/22170-20866/Forestry-axe.aspx That's the forestry axe

The 1926 edition
http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...rs/22151-20866/1926-Edition-forestry-axe.aspx

Palaeolite

Jan 13, 2016
West Berks
That's not bad. I need an in betweener. I have a 4lb Elwell (without handle at the moment) and a Kent pattern hatchet on the large side. Something around the 2-3lb would be great, and for £30 how can I resist? Hmmm. *strokes beard*

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Stilh branded products are all very well made and will give good long service.
Ok their petrol products are very pricey. But if looked they will last a good length of time.
Their axes are very well priced and also will give very good service. For the money I don't think you can do much better. I would love a GB or a wettlings but funds do not allow at the moment. But even if they did there are Jobs that I would not use a wildlife hatchet on. At those prices you look after your axe not abuse it. So you need something that will give good service and not let you down. The stilh axes and Hatchets I believe fit the bill here.

I also have a couple of old "Made in England" Kent patten hatchets, I sometimes like something a little less heavy to use to cut some Kinderling .

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Absolutely, GBs and wetterlings ect are very good, but they are so nice, I wouldn't want to abuse them. The Stihl however, just comes back for more every time! Split that log, no sweat. Fell that tree, not a problem! It is so solid I love it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE