Steel Billet, CMP-3V, A2 ect...

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Is there enywhere in the UK I could buy steel billet to purchase and send on to a knife maker?

The choice seems a bit limited, or I was searching for the wrong thing :p

Cheers, al.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Is there enywhere in the UK I could buy steel billet to purchase and send on to a knife maker?

The choice seems a bit limited, or I was searching for the wrong thing ...

There is/was a member of this forum (Xunil) who had some stock of a variety of bits of exotic steels which he wanted to sell.

Unfortunately he seems to have forsaken us, but it might be worth trying to contact him.

Some of the steels aren't made any more after the manufacturer went out of business a couple of years ago.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks for that guys :)

I'll drop Barry a message, although as you say, he's not been on here for some time. I'll look into cromwell now mesquite!

Regards, al.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Why can't the knife maker supply the steel, are you asking him/her to make a knife using a steel that they have no experience in using? Acton Bright Steel, Furnival or Argent Steel may hold stocks of A2.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I 'may' have a future commission... And they 'may' be able to supply it :)

I have to evaluate something first, and if its nice, I 'may' have to 'enhance' it :rolleyes: I'll look into those, cheers bud.

Hmmmm... :cool:

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Try this link, they list some great knifemaking steels if your unable to find your specific one, the 80crV2 is a particularly tough monkey, it was tested ridiculously hard by IR Bailey over on BB (knifemaker of considerable repute), I'll try and find the link in a bit, the tests he did would make most users and makers wince!!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Whoever you chose to do the work, be sure that they are familiar with the steel you ask them to work with ;) The correct heat treat is essential for the knife to be of any real use in the long term, no matter how pretty it looks when new.
"I stick it in the forge until a magnet won't stick to it, then dunk it in some old engine oil" is not a particularly good way to achieve consistant results ;) (and won't work at all on stainless) but I'm still amazed by how many folks see this as an acceptable way to makes blades for sale.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks guys, and appreciated advice Ian!

Just something I'm milling over at the mo... I already have the maker in mind :)

Cheers, al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE