Steamer fire bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys and gals,

As previously advised on a thread I started about the Grilliput and fire bowl, someone was kind enough to say that a stainless steel folding steamer would do exactly the same job.

I have managed to get my hands on one (in fact it was given to me).
What I am planning to do is use a grill I have for an old bucket style bbq t cook on and use some sort of pegs to hold the grill up that way aloowing me to move closer to the fire if neccessary, do you think that will work? what do you guys use as a grill?

My main concern though is protecting the ground where the fire bowl is, do you think a layer of foil will offer enough protection or is there something else far more obvious Im not thinking of?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered
All the best
Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
i use a heat proof mat under my honey stove, the same kind you get for bunsen burners etc. bought it off ebay for a fiver i think. takes up very little room and helps leave nae trace :)

cheers, thats a very good idea!!! I am just thinking that foil wouldnt be substantial enough!! But the heat proof mat would be and also be re usable!!
Cheers for that
Steve

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
The steamer should have 3 short little legs on it. Simply get some hollow pipe or tubing that will fit over the legs. stick the pipe / tubing in the ground and place the steamer legs in the top of the pipes / tubes. This will raise the steamer of the ground so it will not scorch. There will be very little if any ash that falls through the steamer, this will be very easy to clear away once you are done. I imagine you would need approx 6ft of pipe tubing. You need 3 legs so each leg will be 2ft.
The height of the steamer is fully adjustable, simply push more of the tubes / pipes into the ground to lower your fire, or vice versa!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
The steamer should have 3 short little legs on it. Simply get some hollow pipe or tubing that will fit over the legs. stick the pipe / tubing in the ground and place the steamer legs in the top of the pipes / tubes. This will raise the steamer of the ground so it will not scorch. There will be very little if any ash that falls through the steamer, this will be very easy to clear away once you are done. I imagine you would need approx 6ft of pipe tubing. You need 3 legs so each leg will be 2ft.
The height of the steamer is fully adjustable, simply push more of the tubes / pipes into the ground to lower your fire, or vice versa!

That is a cracking idea if I wasnt planning to do a bit of cooking on it, do you think just a few inches off the floor would stop it scorching? I have an old round bbq grill which Im going to suspend over the fire bowl by attaching a few long tent pegs to it!! BUt I like the idea you suggest for mre of a raised fire!! I think i have some copper piping in my tool box if thats wha you mean?
Cheers
Steve

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
Hi Steve. Copper piping would work well. If you needed to put a grill over the top you could always fashion 3 or 4 legs from dead wood lying around and rest the grill on those. I have been meaning to sort out my own fire bowl (steamer) for a few weeks now so will try and get it sorted at the weekend and post up some pics.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Steve. Copper piping would work well. If you needed to put a grill over the top you could always fashion 3 or 4 legs from dead wood lying around and rest the grill on those. I have been meaning to sort out my own fire bowl (steamer) for a few weeks now so will try and get it sorted at the weekend and post up some pics.

Excellent, I look forward to having a nose on how you get on fella!!! I watched a vid on you tube he gets a right roaring fire going - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb3XEIaBlSE

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
This is the sort of thing I was thinking of. I'll do a full post with write up and pics after I've had it in the woods tomorrow.

dscn0401hp.jpg

dscn0402cr.jpg
dscn0403ht.jpg
dscn0405p.jpg
dscn0406w.jpg
dscn0407d.jpg
dscn0408i.jpg
dscn0409g.jpg
dscn0410r.jpg
dscn0411g.jpg
dscn0412yb.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE