starting to get a bit serious this drought

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
notice quite a few trees are begining to look a bit sick our apple trees have lost some of the fruit and its been very poor with the currant bushes , could have some long term effects this autum and winter . Heard on the news some london broughs are planting more drought resistant trees like olives ? etc ilan

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
ilan said:
notice quite a few trees are begining to look a bit sick our apple trees have lost some of the fruit and its been very poor with the currant bushes , could have some long term effects this autum and winter . Heard on the news some london broughs are planting more drought resistant trees like olives ? etc ilan

Did you see the article in the paper this week (Daily Mail Monday) they had photo's of various locations show now and in 1976, more of a water shortage today compared to the drought of 1976.

Perhaps it is time to save your used water for saving your trees, washing up water, wash water and bath water, and also setting up a load of water butts for saving what you can...

LS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/dmsearch/overture.html?in_page_id=711&in_overture_ua=711&in_start_number=0&in_query=drought&in_channel=-1&in_pub=-7&in_order_by=relevance&in_start=%2F%2F&in_end=%2F%2F look at the Drought, what drought photo's

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Hi i do try and give them a good soaking but here in sth london in fairly sandy soil or london clay . Thinking more that if the trees are under stress and drop early then the wild life will find life difficult . ilan

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Guess we will all have to put out a bit extra for them if the need arrises, though they do tend to manage most years without to much intervention, nature is harsh and it will help sort the weak from the strong...

LS

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you want to learn how to be waterwise, try living with a well. Even here in Mid Wales, we're going to get desperate for rain within the next two weeks or we'll run out :eek: - we're already going off swimming every week to get showers etc. Being at the Bushmoot will give us a few days reprieve but as you say - its getting serious.

Ogri the trog

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Ogri the trog said:
If you want to learn how to be waterwise, try living with a well. Even here in Mid Wales, we're going to get desperate for rain within the next two weeks or we'll run out :eek: - we're already going off swimming every week to get showers etc. Being at the Bushmoot will give us a few days reprieve but as you say - its getting serious.

Ogri the trog

Ogri, sounds like you need to get the spade out and dig deeper, that'll keep you out of mischief for a while...Lol

LS

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
Kinda makes me glad to live where i do, we get some stick for our rainy weather over here but i'll be glad when its back , this heat is killing me!

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I believe we should take it as read that such conditions are here to stay in the South East and we had better get accustomed to it along with the manufacturers and retailers of garden watering systems. The untouched stock languishing on the shelves of B&Q’s gardening section suggests it may also be wise to think twice before buying shares in Hozelok!!

Seriously though, the situation is nothing short of heartbreaking when one considers what we are facing in terms of a fairly swift change to the landscape we all know and love. Even if you banned the ownership of all Landrovers tomorrow (something our London Mayor may already be planning!) it will not make the slightest difference to where the earths cycle is taking us. Sure we have done MUCH damage to our environment but I firmly believe this is something we really have very little control over.

Building desalination plants and pinching water via a large pipe from the Highlands might, sometime after 2012, get the hose pipe ban lifted but what does this do for certain hardwood trees with shallow root systems?

Cheers

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Klenchblaize said:
might, sometime after 2012, get the hose pipe ban lifted but what does this do for certain hardwood trees with shallow route systems?

Very true and very sad...the Horse Chestnuts near me are really suffering this year and most have gone brown and are losing leaves like they thing it's autum. I had at first thought it might be a beetle attack or infection of some sort but after speaking to the boffins at Wisley they could offer no explanation other than the drought.

Bam. :eek:

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Yes i noticed the chestnut trees are getting a brown mottle to the leaves , some maples near by are also loosing the top growth . Its not just this years drought thats the problem but our total water management , The little rain we get in summer barley gets into the baked soil even if we get the "tropical style storms" its into the drains and away . Years ago water used to lay in fields and flood plains from Christmas till March slowly seaping deep into the soil refreshing the underground aquifers. Now the flood plains are built on and water does not lay in any quantity . Equaly if our sewerage treatment is so great should we now not pump this back inland to feed into the water cycle .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE