Starting shoot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh - I'm thinking treelore either spent some time playing silly b***ers at Woodbury Common or was in the RGJ?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I guess so - its a rock solid position, but you can't get much elevation on the barrel. You have to hold on to the sling like crazy as the butt is resting on the ground clamped under your armpit. You do get very, very low though - far lower than in a normal prone. Handy in a rifle pit if you had them...

Looks like a good position but from a firing pit I think most of us would use an overhand barricade postion.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All sorts of ways of doing it I think the Hawkins was originally intended for ditches and roof shooting from what I have read. Ive never quite understood digging a rifle pit without a lowered shooting platform....but thats just me :)

I fear we have strayed from the thread on finding a guy his first airgun shoot though - I doubt he will need any of these positions, or be shooting from a pit !

My fault - as always!

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
For really effective bunny in the pot hunting don't forget lamping. Air riffle hunting is in my opinion the best. As for permission a good tip is to write out a permission form and ask the farmer to sign it, job done rather than waiting and having to ask again. Good luck.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Don't worry about going off topic for my sake fellas. I've never heard of the hawkins position either so it's another good bit of knowledge picked up from this site.

Am going to try and get the rifles into a shop tomorrow, and see how it pans out. If they are good to go, then I'll be taking a wander round the cud on Sat and Sun exploring verges, and trying to work out where exactly rabbits choose to inhabit. I might knock on a few doors, or make a few calls to farmers and see if I can get me some permission to shoot.

Was speaking to a military mate yesterday and to my surprise he shoots a fair bit in his spare time, but he's got a few different guns, shotgun, .177 rimfire and 223. Very smart weapons and shoots clay pigeon and dabbles in hunting from now and again. Made me laugh when he showed me his Firebird targets at 19 quid for 20! Costs him a fortune, and one of his rifles alone was about £800, not to mention firearms licences, and gun cabinets etc. Made me laugh to think that with a 60 quid air rifle, and the landowners permission I can do more or less the same apart from hitting foxes.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Was speaking to a military mate yesterday and to my surprise he shoots a fair bit in his spare time, but he's got a few different guns, shotgun, .177 rimfire and 223...

177 rimfire? Are you sure you don't mean 17 HMR? (Hornady Rimfire Magnum)

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Yeh you may well be right. I know bugger all when it comes to calibres of guns. Only ones I know are 9mm, 5.56, 7.62 and .50 cal :D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeh you may well be right. I know bugger all when it comes to calibres of guns. Only ones I know are 9mm, 5.56, 7.62 and .50 cal :D

Which 7.62? .308? 30-06? 7.62X39 (for the AK47)?

Which 9mm? 9X19 Parabellum (also known as 9mm Luger, and 9mm NATO)? 9X 18 Makorav? 9x17 (also known as .380, 9mm short, 9mm kurtz, and 9mm kortz)?

Which 50 cal? 50 Barret? 50 BMG? 50 Hawkins? 50 Sharps? And loads more.

LOL. Just kidding. I know where you're coming from. It's an aweful lot to figure out if you don't have a real love for guns. Good luck with your hunting.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE