Starting leathercraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Hi guys I wanting to try my hand at some leather work. Pouches, sheaths and some patches etc.

Can anyone give me a list of tools for starting off. I have a stitching awl for leather but that's it.

Also what thickness of leather is best for the above work?

Any advice would be great.

Steve

Wayland

Hárbarðr
90% of my leatherwork is done with an awl, thread, some beeswax, harness needles and a craft knife.

If you want to start decorating leather, the list of tools can get much bigger but a lot can be achieved using a blunt pointed fid. ( Think of something solid with a point like a biro.)

Most "beginners sets" contain tools that you don't really need and will hardly ever use. Start with the above and buy other tools if you discover a job that you cannot get around any other way.

Leatherwork is like fishing in one way. I was once told that most fishing lures were made to catch fishermen, not fish.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Thanks Wayland, I appear to have all I need then! Just need some leather and I'm good. Family are throwing out a leather sofa next week but it's blue.

Any way to get the dye out of the leather for recolouring? Bleach?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Make sure the sofa is dead before you skin it!

As Wayland says not much is needed really a bit of old inner tube is good for gripping needles.

Steve_T

Aug 12, 2010
Hockley
For veg tan leather tandy are good if you get them on the phone. I got a 3.2 - 3.6 double shoulders grade 2 (Few marks etc, but very useable) for 40 quid, on the site 56 quid currently on sale.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE