Starting carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I'm a lifelong bushcrafter (over 50 years now which makes me feel very old) with all sorts of useful skills, but I've never tried wood carving. I've seen the wood spirits thread and I fancy having a go and I want to make a staff and a spoon and - you get the idea. I'm completely ignorant of where to start and what tools I need. Can anyone make recommendations please?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A staff can be done with an ordinary knife same as a spoon.

However carving the bowl of the spoon would be aided by having a good spoon knife. You can get one from Dave Budd, Dell Stubbs, Ray Iles, Ben Orford

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Hi,

I'm new to Bushcraft and carving but have just finished a few spoons I used an axe for roughing out the blank then a cheap Hultafors knife for some more material removal before finishing off with a Swiss army knife, the bowls were carved with a Mora spoon knife.

I have since got a couple of new "proper" wood carving knives which are nice but definitely not necessary.

So to answer your questions I'd say apart from a spoon knife you've probably already got the tools you need for carving a spoon, there are loads of really good videos on YouTube that I have found very helpful.

Cheers

Jon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
The first things I carved were using my pen knife because that's what I had to hand at the time. I was only carving small things - about the size of a bit of kindling, and none too detailed either. Getting a crook knife certianly makes bowl shapes easier. A while ago I got a mora knife which is nice perhaps a bit big for me, I find a smaller blade easier to work with, I've never tried carving with an axe, I did get a set of shaped gouge chisels but never really used them much and they weren't really up to the job of being hit hard.

I remember in my wife's first house [she was a girlfriend then] I inherited a set of stone chisels and a lump hammer - had good fun smaking big bits of stone into various shapes.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I *think* Woodspirits (the member, not the subject :) ) had a tutorial up on how to do them, its probably in Articles... it took you though step by step and I think he mentioned the tools he uses. I would happily commit murder for his workbench and tools :D I'll edit the link in if I can find it....ahhh, tis here, but unfortunately some of the pics links are fubar'd. Theres a link to the article in the first post and on Woodspirits signature, theres a slideshow walkthough if that helps :)

We're extremely lucky to meet at North Wood where we get tuterage from the master himself :) And there's a facebook page with the walkthough and pics too.

Last edited:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Sharp knives & green wood. That way you'll find the process pleasing and your life will be full of wonky treen. If you use a dull knife or hard dry wood, you will cut your fingers and swear a lot with nothing to show for it but odd shaped kindling sticks...

Z

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I did my first spoon with a folder and used a dremmel tool to hollow out the bowl,

but will happily admit that the Mora 120 and spoon knife really sped things along, as well as being more enjoyable.

hope this helps

Ste

P.S. you been bushcrafting nearly twice as long as I've been alive! bet you feel old now!;):lmao:

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
P.S. you been bushcrafting nearly twice as long as I've been alive! bet you feel old now!;):lmao:

Gee, thanks. I already felt old without that. My Dad used to take me up onto Dartmoor from very young. He had been a Scout in the 1920s and gave me his old books and a knife as soon as he figured I was old enough not to cut my fingers off with it. I love old camping books, there is all sorts of useful info in them.

This is a wonderful group. Every time I dip into threads I learn something new.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I love old camping books, there is all sorts of useful info in them.

This is a wonderful group. Every time I dip into threads I learn something new.

Couldn't agree more on both accounts! I'm Currently reading Ellsworth Jaeger's 'Wildwood Wisdom', some great projects in there. very jealous of those earlier books! :)

Also, lovely bunch of folks in this community.

Ste

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE