stanley knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
hi all, wondering if anyone could help me out, i'm wanting to buy a new penknife for a friend for christmas and i was wanting a few opinions. first, has anyone used the stanley linerlock? it looks pretty good, nice size, nice blade shape etc. and by way of working as a joiner for a good part of my life i've got quite a lot of respect for stanley tools in general, they tend to be pretty good for the price usually. second question, any other suggestions for a knife, no more than 30 quid cos i'm tight, single locking blade, stainless cos it'll get wet a lot, simple grind cos she's only just learning to sharpen knifes for herself so i don't want to over complicate things for her!! erm..... that's about it really, only other thing is that it's going to be used by a girl with fairly small hands.
anyway, hopefully someone will be able to help me out.
thanks in advance.
stuart

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i don't know anything abuot the stanley knife, the spyderco's are probably a bit more expensive, gerber do a few liner locks that come in under your price range. she's not left handed is she? being a leftie me self i can't stand liner locks.

ar300.jpg

37 quid at hennie haynes.

of course for just a little more you could have an uzi!!! :shock: :lol:
ZF-1GRNB.jpg

just had a quick look at the stanley liner lock. quite tidy, don't forget the review when you've got it!

cheers, and.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You have to watch out when you ask knife nuts for advice :wink: Most don't REALLY think a knife is worth having till it is past the £50 mark :lol:

Have you looked at the Gerber Eze-out? www.heinnie.com, noted for not being the cheapest place, sells them for about £30, though they don't have all that much in the way of details. The people I know who have had them said they were pretty good, tough, easy to put a keen edge on, useful size etc etc etc.

I bought my mum a Cold Steel Voyager, which she loves, but they are more than you want to spend. I am not sure that a liner lock is the best thing for someone who is just getting used to a knife. They can take a bit of a knack to close. The more traditional lock-back style can need a little more force, but is easier to close with two hands, and still works with just one.

Kershaw make some nice little knives, some even look pretty.

Hope that you find what you are looking for!

Chris

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Wouldnt bother with a folder - or anything expensive until theres experience behind the blade - a frosts clipper or maybe a kellam knife would be a ood place to start looking.

As for the ones pictured - not really what i'd recommend for use in the bush. In fact i wouldnt go with a folder at all the weakness at the join isnt a thing i like for starters.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
certainly the good ol' scandanvian grind is a great moral booster for trainee sharpeners. but once the poor girl's been exposed to one of those little issakki jarvenpaa utility puukkos, she'll be spoilt, and never convert to knife-nut-dom!

hey, for three pounds fifty you can get a frosts viking, and they are superb knives. if you can put up with plastic.

cheers, and.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
If you want a good folder, that will last & last, try the EKA Super Swede, I paid £20 for one 15 years ago. Flat grind, totally stripable, tensionable, and a steel that will hold an edge with the best & most expensive of them.
Or as she's new to knives, the safer option would be a fixed blade, try the MORA knife (£13) or a LAPP PUUKO from Kellam (£29), theres not much between them. If you got the Mora, you could get her a Crook Knife by the same company and still have change out of £30.
Hope this helps.
Neil1

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
:roll:

the Lapp puukko and the Mora are very different knives

the mora is factory made, laminated steel, not full tang, plastic handle

the Lapp puukko is hand forged, carbon steel, full tang, handmade artic curly birch handle

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I agree with Stu - as an owner of both saying theres not much difference between em its a bit like saying a lada and a landrover are the same thing.

The wildfin is a good all round bushcraft knife and good value for the price while the Mora, though cheap is no good for striking the fire steel with and worse than that the steel is so soft it can be bent (at the join of the handle) by hand.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
you can get very good spanish loch knives that would be worth a look nieto been the one i like the most. i own one of these blades. its hollow grind made from 440C steel all metal handle and you can tension the blade. i think it feels nicer than the CRKT but i haven't been able to use that knife.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
A general point here, please be aware that it's technically illegal to carry any form of lock knife in the UK without "good reason". This includes linerlocks, the Leatherman wave (which has locking blades), etc.
I suspect most people are unaware of this, including a hell of a lot of salespeople, but as people with a natural interest and need to carry knives at times because of our hobby, it may be prudent to be aware of the rules and make an informed choice of what to carry in different circumstances.
I think this has cropped up in the edge tools section before, but there's an excellent and comprehensive thread on the subject at britishblades.
Cheers, Alick

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
from talking to people it is not illigal to carry a locking pen knife if the blade is still within 7.5cm unless it has a springloaded opening system. it is however illigal to carry a fixed blade knife of any length. the idea behind this been its harder to bring out a lock knife at speed. the local shop showed me the knife that most police carry which is a semi serrated lock knife. other note if it looks less agressive you will probs be ok. dont carry it clipped to you belt (i took the clip off) and try to get a knife without a stud on the blade for one hand opening

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Andy said:
from talking to people it is not illigal to carry a locking pen knife if the blade is still within 7.5cm unless it has a springloaded opening system.

The blades and law forum on BritishBlades, is moderated by a lawyer and a police officer - who also happen to be knife collectors and entheusiats, you wont get better or more solid gold info on the subject anywhere else.

I can assure you most definitely it is illegal to carry a locking pen knife, regardless of the mechanism, as specified in case law by Harris v Department of Public Prosecutions (know as the Harris decision).

As alick mentioned, there are exceptions if you have "a good reason to carry" which is spelled out in section 139 of the 1988 criminal justice act.

All of which, can be explained in laymans terms by the members or moderators in the Blades, Britain & the Law forum.

But.... you can forgoe all the legal mumbo jumbo, because the bottom line is this...

"the only knife you can carry with you, anywhere you like, without need for rhyme or reason, is a none-locking penknife, with a blade under 3" in length".

Absolutely everything else, falls either into the "totally banned", or "must have a good reason" categories.

There are no exceptions. A leatherman wave, opinel, any of the knives mentioned above or any other locking knife is illegal to carry in public in the UK (unless you have a good reson). This is not opinion, it's written into law, it's absolutely unambiguous. You can safely bet your mother, wife, children & mortgage on it.

The stupidity of it, is a different issue entirely. :wink:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I agree - I had the same brief from a student who was also a magistrate and was surprised when I gave him a frost clipper.

Funny old world!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE