Stainless Steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I want to make one of the Nimblewill stoves, so I need some stainless steel.
Does anyone know a good source for cheap, or free, stainless steel? Wondered if it may be found in an everyday item?
Just need four pieces roughly CD case size.
Cheers for your help.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you have any metal workers or fabricators near where you live you should be able to scrounge some scraps off them.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Keep an eye out for restaurants/kitchens being re-furbished, as most equipment, ie work tops tables, are skipped, and there's a lot of stainless to be had.

I got 2 tables, 4ft x 2ft, for free, just needed a good clean.

Or just go to a steel supplier 4 pieces won't cost that much.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
bread bin from a car boot or down to municipal recycling point(Tip) and keep eye out for old micro wave cooker, interior usually stainless and sometimes exterior also.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I got mine as some offcuts from a local sheet metalworkers, plenty big enough. Failing that an old stainless microwave or similar may be suitable.

Scoops

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
If you're really stuck PM me the sizes and I'll ask some guys I know ,they're in my archery club so I don't see them very often.

They both work for companies who use stainless so I might be able the get you some scrap and post it to you

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
cheapo shops like poundland/99p stores/wilkos etc often sell stainless steel trays/plates and the like, also charity shops often have various stainless items going cheap, if you only want cd size those outlets should supply your needs, a bugger to cut to size though, i got a stainless steel tray for 50p from a charity shop and converted to crusader lid, used tin snips for rough cutting and bench grinder for tidying cut.

African

Mar 12, 2007
Stevenage
Good source of sheet stainles is on the bottom of doors. If you know anyone in the building trade doind a refurb or gutting an old building that had kitchens in it there will be a big sheet along the bottom for the kitchen staff to kick the door open on.

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
I want to make one of the Nimblewill stoves, so I need some stainless steel.
Does anyone know a good source for cheap, or free, stainless steel?

I made one, or rather two of these, but I bought the material off ebay. Postage is the killer.

Anyway here are some photos of my second attempt using 0.4mm titanium instead of 0.9mm stainless. It cost about £15 and weighs 124g or 4oz rather than the first attempt which weighed 15oz.

2101700720103818910vLIquE_th.jpg

2125258190103818910scwAxV_th.jpg

2374316280103818910zjYToU_th.jpg

One thing that I would say is don't underestimate how tough both stainless and titanium are.

D

Dunne

hi there dunne here i have some stainless steel here its about 2feet by 2 feet or so maybe a bit bigger if thats any good to you i would be welling to trade if you have anything that you like to do that with , i am looking for some leather to make two knife sheaths thanks

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi Urban, using titanium is interesting, what size did you get for that price, and how big/what are the dimensions of your stoves ?. I've made some stoves my self, and i am trying to get the weight down, and just playing with a new idea at the moment.

cheers, Rob

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
Hi Urban, using titanium is interesting, what size did you get for that price, and how big/what are the dimensions of your stoves ?.

From memory it was the size of an A4 sheet of paper. It took some careful laying out to manage a full stove from the available ti. That's the reason that the front is in two pieces. The final stove is of standard dandy dimensions, which gives a 135 * 100mm burn area with a firebox depth of 85mm. Attempting to keep the price down I was outbid a few times and planned the layout before bidding. A standard trick is to simply not bother with the front but to secure it's shape and the box to the ground with tent pegs. That also makes it easier to feed, however I wanted the option of a front and planned accordingly.

I recommend downloading the pattern and printing it on both paper and card. The card one can make a dummy stove to check the size. The paper ones can be glued to the metal for obvious reasons.

When it gets a bit drier I'm going to try firing it up on the lawn to see if it scorches the grass, I suspect that it won't though of course in the wild it would be better to either site it on a rock or lift the turf and replace afterward.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks for that, i usualy "wet" the ground, before siting the stove, this reduces the scorch mark, and you can keep doing this while the stove is in use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE