Stainless steel crusader lid.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Made this recently for a member on here.Lid for a crusader cup made from stainless steel with a brass loop.Entirely hand made from 1mm sheet.This was a real pig to make and i nearly gave up on it until i introduced it to Oxy-acetelene:naughty:
Im pleased with the end result:D
lid1.jpg

lid3.jpg

lid2.jpg

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Ha!Yeah,it was difficult to work thats why the gas torch came out.
I was sent a template of a cup and i transfered that to a piece of 5mm steel plate and cut that to make the former.It actually took longer to make the former than it did the lid..
As for price,erm,havent given that much thought...

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi launditch1 care to give any tips on anealing stainless steel ?
When I did this with 1/8"copper I heated it to dull red then dropped it into a bucket of cold water,
it distorted a little off the flat but was really soft to hammer into shape but soon rehardened with hammering.
Crusaderlid.jpg

cheers Danny

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
QdanT:When i made the lid i cut the shape so there was about 7-8mm more than i wanted,i aimed for about about 5mm to form the lip of the lid so the extra that distorted and wrinkled could be cut off.The outside curve was easiest to form,the problems started when i was following the curve on the handles side.You shape it in one place and it distorts in another!!Thats when i applied the heat.You know when its work hardening because it becomes very un-weilding.I was heating the lid edge to an orange-approaching yellow colour,this allowed me to form the shape and hammer out the creases that were forming.The whole thing was clamped in a vice do do all this.
Im glad i read lots about tinsmithing and sheet metalwork!I hope this ramble has somehow answered your question.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
So it's more like forging ? you hammer it while it's hot (orange-approaching yellow)
and don't quench it in water. I've got a few offcuts and the weather looks :censored: for the next few days.
I can feel a shed session coming on.
cheers Danny

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Yeah, i suppose it is forged..panel beating maybe.No i didnt quench it,that would have been way to much hassle taking out of the vice each time and lining it up with former.Good luck and post pics if you make one:)

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Nice bit of work there fella. I recently made one out of 2mm aluminium and beat the hell out of it and still got crimping on the handle sides. It's rough but works

Currently knocking out a stainless steel one in .5mm steel and that's even worse!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Thanks.Its hard work i know..
Dont know what to suggest about the crimping?..Cut the lid over-size and apply some heat?(gas torch..)
Good luck with ss!

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
Wow guys, those are all lovely examples. I'm currently in the process of making one from an old mess tin and the rippling on the edges is a problem.

Should I heat the alu to make it easier to work. Any advice appreciated and also any methods people used.

Cheeers guys,

M

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
BigM,
What i did was beat the living hell out of it, put in slight snips in the crinkles, beat it some more then filed it smooth.
The steel one is taking some doing, no amount of swearing or bashing is helping either.

akraven that's a nice bit of work goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE