Stainless steel crusader lid.

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
There's a secret to annealing aluminium. Annealed aluminium re-hardens over time without anything being done to it. To soften the metal you need to heat it up, but avoid heating it till it melts. The secret is this: Rub some ordinary hand soap over the metal. Heat with your blowtorch until the soap marks turn black. The metal is now soft enough to work and hammer into shape. If you use a former (i've used MDF) the metal (dependant on it's thickness of course) will be soft enough to hammer out the wrinkles without unduly damaging the former.

Hope that helps

pwb

There's a secret to annealing aluminium. Annealed aluminium re-hardens over time without anything being done to it. To soften the metal you need to heat it up, but avoid heating it till it melts. The secret is this: Rub some ordinary hand soap over the metal. Heat with your blowtorch until the soap marks turn black. The metal is now soft enough to work and hammer into shape. If you use a former (i've used MDF) the metal (dependant on it's thickness of course) will be soft enough to hammer out the wrinkles without unduly damaging the former.

Hope that helps

I had some thicker aluminium that was a real pain to work until I discovered the method Gweedo explains , it worked a treat :).

That's a fine looking lid akraven :bigok:.

Cheers,
Pete.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
I have made about 4 in the last few weeks out of ally takes about 30-40 min
Not as profecional as some on here but they do the job
I found that if you leave only about 3mm overhang to work down it does not crimp as much as 5mm
Give it a try and see if it improves your effort
Mick
imag0004.jpg

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I first used a plastic BCB lid wrapped in aluminium car exhaust tape. It worked reasonably well but not really acceptable!
I have tried making several 'propper' lids, the latest one works but wouldn't win any prizes :vio:
I will try again after what I have learned on this thread.

Thanks,

PREPER............ :)

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
I made a s/s lid a couple of years ago.
Made it in two parts,the lip was tig welded around the top section then polished.
Soloman.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Made this recently for a member on here.Lid for a crusader cup made from stainless steel with a brass loop.Entirely hand made from 1mm sheet.This was a real pig to make and i nearly gave up on it until i introduced it to Oxy-acetelene:naughty:
Im pleased with the end result:D
lid1.jpg

lid3.jpg

lid2.jpg

Hi mate real interested in one of these haver sent you a PM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE