Stained Carbon blade...help!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squid

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Swindon
Was chopping some garlic last night and the garlic has stained my carbon steel blade.

Looks awful!

Any quick tips to removing said stains?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Far better to build up the patina as it protects the knife from rust and adds character to a knife. All carbon steels will do it unless you are very meticulous in you cleaning and polishing. I don't bother as I like my knives to show their use :)

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
I agree...carbon steel gains character the more you use it and the patina is protective, so either start using stainless (ugh!:yikes:) or get used to a bit of stainage ;)

Personally I like my knife to look like I use it... :p

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Remove them?
That would remove character and distinction!
If you want a knife that stays bright and shiney buy Stainless...
If you want a knife of character, distinction, history and great cutting power combined with easy sharpening buy the sainted carbon.
Wrap it in vinegar soaked tissue overnight to even out the patina then wash and wipe it down with a little oil.
The patina helps protect the blade, stops it looking like a draw queen and makes it look like an old hands trusted tool - as oposed to a newbies new toy :D
Patina = good
Shiney = bad or stainless :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm not sure if really need to even post. All I'm going to do is second the opinions already posted. Oh well. Too late to think about that now.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Autosol will polish it up nicely. I like patina on my carbon blades, but sometimes I like to make it shiny again, doesn't last long when you use a knife lots though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE