Stags Breath at John Lewis. Heads Up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I have some spiced mango chutney that I bought from a farmers market. I have just checked the date and it says BBE Nov 07 so it should be in its peak.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Best before dates are a guide! As long as there aren't any new growths in there and it doesn't smell rank it'll be fine! Things get better with age anyway!

:D

I'll have to get a ham or similar then, maybe cheat and bring some charcoal and slowly roast it over the top. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! I'll do a trial run soon I think!

:naughty:

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Mission accomplished two bottles off stags breath successfully forraged, only had to go arround the whole of John Lewis's 3 times and then down to Stockport arround every shop, out all day, and I had to carry the bags. Still I shall sit back tonight put the awfull experience from my memory and enjoy the warmth that is stags breath. And relax!.:D

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Best before dates are a guide! As long as there aren't any new growths in there and it doesn't smell rank it'll be fine! Things get better with age anyway!

:D

I'll have to get a ham or similar then, maybe cheat and bring some charcoal and slowly roast it over the top. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! I'll do a trial run soon I think!

:naughty:

You know it Spam. This chutney is still sealed so no fuzz or owt and should be MMmmmm HHHmmm. I still remember the sample that inspired me to buy a jar in the first place but have never had cause to get it served 'til now ;)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Mission accomplished two bottles off stags breath successfully forraged, only had to go arround the whole of John Lewis's 3 times and then down to Stockport arround every shop, out all day, and I had to carry the bags. Still I shall sit back tonight put the awfull experience from my memory and enjoy the warmth that is stags breath. And relax!.:D
I may join you for a swallow, emptied the last of my bottle into a hip flask and I could just do with one now!
Cheers:beerchug:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Dammit, I wa gonna make a brew and retire for a read, but a quick glass of breath would do me nice right now! I better start getting my supply chain sorted out, I have to check the shop in Sheffield!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'm going to have to get me some. I've heard so much about it. But tell me, if it's whisky and fermented honey, why not just blend whisky and mead and make your own? Or am I on the wrong track?

Eric

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I'm going to have to get me some. I've heard so much about it. But tell me, if it's whisky and fermented honey, why not just blend whisky and mead and make your own? Or am I on the wrong track?

Eric

We have had this discussion round the fire and I think Gary tried and said it just wasn't the same! You have the right idea I think, but you do have to try it!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'll give it a go. Incidentally, I was given a nice bottle of real mead a few weeks ago. It was lovely. I also got a new bottle of whisky at the same time. I picked up the mead bottle, unscrewed the top, poured a large glass and threw a great gobful down my neck - then I realised I'd opened the whisky by mistake. It was orrible. It was the cheap value brand of blended stuff from sainsburys bought specifically for hot toddys and for the wife to put lemonade in (I keep my malt hidden). I followed it with the mead and it was a wierd taste after the whisky, a nice kind of wierd though. I gave some of the mead to my sister in law and she thought it was some kind of sweet wine, so she had a couple of glasses. My brother in law had to carry her home. :lmao:

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bring the contents of a 225g or half a pound jar of honey, four tablespoonsful of soft water and a teaspoonful of dried, or three tablespoonsful of fresh, heather or elderflowers, up to a slow boil. Remove from heat and lay aside, lightly covered overnight. Next day strain through a fine sieve and add four tablespoonsful of hot water. Stir well and allow to sit for two days.
Strain through a fine linen hankie or the like.
This liquidy honey is good for all sorts of things but I reckon that when added to a whisky like Grouse or Bells it makes a brilliant hot toddy. If the honey mix is left to ferment then added to the whisky I wonder how close it could be gotten to Stag's Breathe type?
Just curious you understand ;)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE