St Georges mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yuummm sounds lovely....... I'll have to have a scout about this week.... I know where there were some last year... I'll take a look
Cheers for reminding me they are back out :D

Ed

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
BorderReiver said:
Idiot question;what's a St Georges mushroom?
It is one of the first edible mushrooms of the season BR, appearing, as the name implies, around St Georges Day on 23rd April. Latin name is Calocybe gambosa (name changes often! was Tricholoma gambosum) and it grows generally on limestone grassland found on verges and grassland often in large rings.

Great reference page here:

Calocybe gambosa

Recipe when mushrooms are found here :)

Soufflé Flan with St George's Mushroom Filling

Simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Picked some Jew's ear a fortnight ago, snipped and dried it for stew. Used some of it last night in a stir fry; tasty.
Never tried the St.George's day one....no limestone :( , we're on heavy clay, sand and sandstone.

Toddy

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Not seen any st georges yet. They were about this time last year in mass up my local woods but nothing so far this year.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Picked some Jew's ear a fortnight ago, snipped and dried it for stew. Used some of it last night in a stir fry; tasty.
I've never found Jews ear to be tasty :-( I always have to flavor and season it well to be able to eat it and like it. I like stir frying it as it gets rid of that slimy rubbery texture into something a little more crisp.

:)
Ed

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I got a handful of St Georges on wednesday while out doing some work on a friends land, fried them with a little garlic and then a light sprinkling of pepper. Lovely. Still using jews ears I dried ages ago, plus some wild herbs.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
EdS said:
We had the first St Georges yesterday - anyone else had some yet?

Thanks for reminding me . Think I'll pop down M Mawr and have a look if any are around. Got to try and get there before Stuart this year!.

Noticed that the Morels are around - they tend to get collected by others pretty quickly though.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Same here, I tend to see things emerging and think to my self that I have to get back to get some when they're ready and I never get back in time. I think there's a lot to be said for knowing an area well and knowing when stuff is in season within that area.

We'll have a good scout about at MM and make a nice big soup or some such.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Morels are fantasic fried in a little butter and hedge garlic and served on toast..... also lovely when stuffed with a little cheese and herbs and either roasted lightly or grilled.

:)
Ed

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
I went up looking for St Georges at a spot I know they grow four days ago. I had a really good scout about and nothing. Yesterday evening jack pot. A fair few popping up through the grass. Don’t the bugs get in them fast. I can’t say I’m too fond of the uncooked smell of St Georges. Much better when well cooked for me.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Found a bunch this evening, pretty late but then so was spring :rolleyes: . I'm drying this batch and I've remembered where I picked them for next year :) .

Arvensis

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2006
Eastleigh
As Snufkin says spring was pretty late this year so I'm not surprised that they're up a bit later. The texture of them when fried reminds me slightly of chicken and very delicious. :D

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE