SS Water bottle for boiling water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 17, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi all

I recently purchased this stainless steel water bottle from the bay. No brand name, a generic £8 for a 750ml

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381285009...49&var=650518648157&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Says it's 304 stainless steel (food grade?) and Inner Wall Of The Bottle Without Any Coating.
My question is, is this safe to boil water on a fire or stove? I thought it would be as it says there's no coating on the inside but when I asked the buyer they said it's OK to be filled with boiled water but can't be put on fire/stove. Do you guys think this would be safe to do so? Is the buyer just being cautious/protecting themselves?
TIA
Saul

ps great site!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Can't see why it would have a problem, (without the lid of course).

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Hello Saul, welcome to the forum. Did you drop by the Introductions and Welcomes thread to say hello?

Looks like it would be okay for fire use. Does it have any obvious seams? I've seen some water bottles that have had a seam (like a tin can) and that might pop open if heated on a fire.

There is a way to tell if the inside has a coating. Not very scientific I'm afraid, but it does work. Find a nice quite room and a hard surface put the empty bottle down and using something metal long and thin (screwdriver works well for this) tap the outside of the bottle and listen to the "ting" sound. Do the same on the inside and listen to the sound. Same sound and no coating, if the sound is deeper, only slightly deeper, there's a chance the inside has been coated. As I said not scientific by any means but it works. :)

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like it should be fine, if in doubt allow any coatings to burn off in your fire for a bit before you boil your water up.

Jul 17, 2015
United Kingdom
Thanks Jared, yes without the lid!.

Thanks TarHeelBrit, I've just said hi in introductions. It does look like it has a seam on the inside. I've already had it over a fire and on/next to the hot coals. Water boiled and no damage to the bottle. I also did that scientific test with a metal skewer and the sound was the same. So hopefully it'll be OK.

Thanks bowji john. I'd test it to destruction but money's a little tight atm but I'll sure give it a good thorough use and report back with my findings.

Thanks copper_head. I don't think it has a coating after that test but may do that when I have the money to upgrade to see what this bottle can handle (because of the seam).

Thanks again all.
Saul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE