Squirrel Numbers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
There are hardly any squirrels in our wood at the moment. This time last year, I could practically guarantee seeing or hearing squirrels up in the hornbeams (after the seeds) every time I went out.
I shot quite a few last early autumn, but none since then and I'm sure there should have been plenty of recruitment from adjoining/neighbouring woodland.
Has anyone else noticed squirrel numbers down this year, or is it just round here?
It's been quite a bad myxomatosis year for the rabbits round here (our JR killed a small myxy bunny just half an hour ago). It occurred to me that grey squirrels might be subject to epidemics of a similar population devastating disease from time-to-time. I've never heard of such a disease in squirrels though.

Burnt Ash

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Wiyh respect Burnt Ash, if you shot 'em last year they're probably all dead! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:
Seriuosly tho' I still have my resident population eating my hazel nuts,although I've only seen 2 of them this year despite an abundance of food
Hopefully they've got squirrell myxi :eek:):

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I under the believe that some over there has shipped a load of the gray fellas over here on the ferry :wink: . Two weeks ago myself and missus were literally surround by them.

We were saved by a kid running through the wood shouting Mam look a the Squirrels at the top of lugs. That showed them. :roll:

James

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We've got loads of them around here as well.

Should be good fun feb/ march next year when we go drey shooting... :eek:):

Cheers

Mark

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Ours are still out and about. We have the big grays here and they are waiting for the final mast to drop from the oaks and then they'll be more or less done until they go into hiding for the winter.

This is an exciting time of year for me. Watching the deer in their rut as the bucks chase the does and the does let them catch them. Watching the squirrels as they busy themselves. The blooms of the wild plants that bring a touch of color to the otherwise tired landscape and the air is full of the little airborne seedlings as they find a good resting place for the winters sleep and the new life in spring. Yep, one of my favorite times to be alive. :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Luckily the only squirrel we get here is this type:

Squirrel7778.JPG

:eek:):

How is it that one type can be so furry and cuddly, doing little to damage trees etc and the other is so aggressive, destructive and undesirable :?:

Before the C20th that is all there was in Britain and Ireland until some ignorant people introduced them. Even today people are releasing non-native species in Europe and repeating the stupidity :z:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
We have reds in some areas of California. Killed one in the mtns east of us, but very little meat and they tend to taste like what they feed on. In Alaska, the reds are the pests as they get into cabins and under the motor cover on vehicles and reek havok. The grays, although a little more agressive, have a lot more meat on them and around here, they actually don't taste too bad. Not like chicken though. :wink:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
The other day I saw a small grey squirrel, sitting quite happily eating a cereal bar, with the wrapper nicely peeled back.

Wish I'd had a camera. Cereal bar flavoured squirrel...mmmm.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Just reminded me to have a look through a new book I just got - "Food from the Wild - Judy Urquhart":

...A squirrel which has been feeding on the right ingredients can be as large, fat and sweet-tasting as a rabbit. One that has not can taste like bad curried chicken. However, casseroled in a good strong tasty sauce, even the rankest squirrel is made quite palatable and theyare an abundant source of free food.

Sauteed Squirrel

Wash, wipe and quarter 2 squirrels. Rub with salt and pepper. Slowly fry an onion and a crushed clove of garlic in some butter until golden. Add the squirrel and 1 tbsp chopped ham, sprinkle with flour and fry until brown. Add 1.5 cups red wine, thyme, bayleaf, 1 tsp grated lemon rind, cayenne pepper and season to taste. Simmer until tender.

Yum!
:p

gurthang

Nov 22, 2004
Devon/Hampshire
Burnt Ash said:
It's been quite a bad myxomatosis year for the rabbits round here (our JR killed a small myxy bunny just half an hour ago). It occurred to me that grey squirrels might be subject to epidemics of a similar population devastating disease from time-to-time. I've never heard of such a disease in squirrels though.

Burnt Ash

Squirels dont get mixy just rabbits not even hares get it

Squirel shooting now thats something I mis now I'm away at college

gurthang

Nov 22, 2004
Devon/Hampshire
gurthang said:
Squirel shooting now thats something I mis now I'm away at college

Just read my post and realised it sounded a bit blood thirsty, my comment about crows on another thread may have sounded similar, sorry if it gives that impression. But I have had occasion to shoot both squirels and crows and some other things such as magpies and rats as pest controll on farms.
and althogh I eat squirrel ocasionaly I dont eat rooks crows or magpies but I would never shoot anything without a good reason,

I dont want to sound like a yob who shoots to watch things fall

just in case I'd created a bad impression

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE