Spyderco or DC4?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bombadil

I currently have a Spyderco "Doublestuff" pocket stone, ceramic rod, and my trusty GB ice hockey puck. (Bought from Rob before I heard of BCUK.....spot on, cheers, mate :biggthump ).
I was thinking about trying a DC4 since they are getting good reviews here and elsewhere, but I'm not sure, given the other kit I already own, if it's worth it. What does everyone else think? :?:

jakunen

Native
Personally I love my little DC4 that I got from Stuart (wouldn't let me walk off with his so I had to give him some dosh) and it lives permanently in my possible pouch.

Fantastic bit of kit with coarse and fine sides, compact, lightweight, fan-bloomin-tastic. And the leather case doubles as a mini strop too.

Top piece of kit.

B

bombadil

jakunen said:
Fantastic bit of kit with coarse and fine sides, compact, lightweight, fan-bloomin-tastic. And the leather case doubles as a mini strop too.

Top piece of kit.

Cool.....but what's the difference between the DC4 and the Spyderco?

B

bombadil

The spyderco is a flat double-sided stone and comes in a little leather pouch like the DC4, with a fine and medium grits. Its about 4-5 inches long and and inch and a half wide, and (I think) is ceramic with artificial emerald. In all it sounds a lot like the DC4, but I haven't found any threads reviewing them here :?:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I'd say save your money mate - if you have a GB ice hockey puck you have a good field stone already.

Do you have a decent base stone? Spend your money there - you'll use it more.

Nov 24, 2004
West Sussex
I dont claim to know nearly enough of the black arts of sharpening to give any sound advice. I have, however, found that I can achieve a super finish on my GB axe with the ceramic edge of the trusty DC4 after first getting the shape and edge with the `puck`. I should say though, that I spend far more time gazing lovingly at my axe and knife than actually doing any meaningful work with them so what do I know. :

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I think the DC4 is a great piece of kit...not as good as the starkie ;) but still very good.
My sharpening kit is usually just my DC4 and starkie. Next time i'll give my arkansas a go. I also sometimes bring out my 4000 mini-stone from axminster which is great for touch ups.

The good thing about the DC4 is you can repair your blade effectively with the diamond side. I don't really use the diamond much unless i have dented etc the edge.

I haven't got the GB puck...it looks quite big and heavy, is it?

Cheers.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
This is one of my favorites for the day pack or backpacking. Great sharpener and very light.

trianglehone1b.jpg

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Hoodoo.... I've got one of those, I find it very good when I'm out and about and as I use a serated spyderco quite a lot I like it that I can sharpen the seration with this....

I also have a DC4 and have used it for all my axes, knives and machettes and find I just can't beat it for ease to use and result (I'm no expert either) but it doesn't work on serated blades.

jakunen

Native
My 1000th post! Woohoo!!!

The GB puck isn't all that heavy, but, when you're trying to go minimalist, it does a bit weigh more that the DC4 or similar and isn't that small comparatively speaking, so unless you're taking an axe, I'd leave it at home.

The coarse side is REALLY coarse, for taking nicks out of your axe, and I wouldn't want to use it on my puuku's or Opinel. But still a great piece of kit.

If you want to go light, I'd go for a cut-down arkansas, a DC4 or something similar.
I'm not a fan of serrated blades, so don't find the fact my DC4 can't be used on them a problem.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
jakunen said:
The GB puck isn't all that heavy, but, when you're trying to go minimalist, it does a bit weigh more that the DC4 or similar and isn't that small comparatively speaking, so unless you're taking an axe, I'd leave it at home.

Not all that heavy ? not from what I've seen;GB Puck
That is one serious piece of kit :yikes:

Cheers

Martin
P.s. congrats on the 1000th post :biggthump

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Shinobi, having reviewed the link you supplied for the GB puck, I see what you mean! Either "206kg" is a typo or that's a picture of very big chap indeed.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
zambezi said:
Shinobi, having reviewed the link you supplied for the GB puck, I see what you mean! Either "206kg" is a typo or that's a picture of very big chap indeed.

Well spotted Zambezi :eek:): I e-mailed the site sometime ago but they don't seem to be in a rush to correct it. They've also got the Gransfors axe file down as being 76kg :shock:

Martin

jakunen

Native
bambodoggy said:
Lol....and at those dimentions it must be the heaviest substance known to man!!!! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:
Oh, I dunno, one of my ex's dumplings spring to mind...:rolmao::rolmao::rolmao:

76Kg for an file?! Good attention to detail I must say. If I buy something for for £4.95 and pay them with a tenner, will they give me £505 change?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
:eek:): I once tried to make scones.....they came out like ice hockey puks and I'm sure you'd be able to sharpen an axe with them! I'll stick to jerky, i don't seem to be able to mess that up! :nana:

B

bombadil

Gary said:
I'd say save your money mate - if you have a GB ice hockey puck you have a good field stone already.

Do you have a decent base stone? Spend your money there - you'll use it more.

Nice one! Thanks for the advice, that´s probably saved me a bit of cash! :lol:
I do rate the puck very highly, and I don´t think that its too heavy for a field stone. My base stone is an old wa****a in a wooden box that I picked up fpr a ouple of quid from a second-hand tool shop. I´ve been thinking about investing in japenese water stones, but it sounds like I already have a pretty good combination, so maybe not!
Thanks again for the tips, evryone, Feliz Natal from Portugal!! :wave:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE