Spyderco BushcraftUK factory second -mini review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
(This review was also posted on BB, apologies for duplication if you frequent both sites.)

I ordered one of the seconds and left it to settle a few months. The cracks were almost invisible by that stage. As per the advice on the BritishBlades forum, I've filled the cracks and sealed the handle with multiple layers of cyanoacrylate (polymerised with linseed oil) and buffed it up. It's given very durable finish.

P1040842.jpg

P1020608.jpg

It has seen heavy use since (batoning, etc.) and the scales remain solid.

Pic courtesy of my 4 yr old!
P1030534.jpg

P1030577.jpg

The supplied sheath is not to my liking so I have a DIY one, instead.

I'd recommmend this factory-second as good value, especially when compared to the blank. The handle is ergonomically superb and looks stunning, plus you get the sheath. Besides, if my handle falls apart I'll stick some micarta or CF on.

Obviously 01 requires a lot more looking after than the steels we are used to seeing Spyderco use (corrosion-wise.) However, it sharpens easily and the HT seems to be spot on.

It's a great bushcraft knife and the handle has the best ergonomics of any bushcraft knife I've used or made. I would prefer it without the spyder-hole as crud accumulates in it.

Probably the best value knife I've bought (Byrd Crossbill a close second!)

Cheers,

Xav

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good review.

I must admit I've never understtod the point in drilling a completely pointless hole in a blade - seems counter intuitive

Red

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
The hole is there because it's a Spyderco.
As I understand it, there was a copyright court case regarding the hole in the blade, Spyderco asserted that it was a trademark, so to back up their position, all Spyderco knives (folding or fixed) have the "Spyderhole"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine's a lovely tool to use.
Tempted to fill the hole in with black resin though, like the decorative holes that Patrick made in the bone cloak pins he made.

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The hole is there because it's a Spyderco.
As I understand it, there was a copyright court case regarding the hole in the blade, Spyderco asserted that it was a trademark, so to back up their position, all Spyderco knives (folding or fixed) have the "Spyderhole"

That makes absolutely no sense! Why have a "trademark" that actually makes your product worse? Whatever next - its got a big chip in the cuttiong edge because its a..........

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
That makes absolutely no sense! Why have a "trademark" that actually makes your product worse? Whatever next - its got a big chip in the cuttiong edge because its a..........

It does make sense. They mainly make folders and the hole is the opening device. They're now expanding into fixed blades so are keeping the hole for brand identity.

It's also getting people talking, both bad and good and there's no such thing as bad publicity. ;)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
You could also make the mosaic in place. Dennis got an existing mosaic pin and fitted it in. There's no reason why you couldn't fill the hole with black epoxy but shove some copper tubing, etc in there at the same time.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I like the idea of a mosaic "pin" too,but I think it's more of a button than a pin.I wouldn't even attempt it myself.I'd like to see it done though,if anyone has a tutorial I bet it would be very popular.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
With the release of the Spyderco BushcraftUK G10, now would seem to be a good time to post an update on my factory second of the spalted maple handled knife. It is the same blade and handle shape as the G10.

Here are a few pics of my knife, which has seen regular use this year:

IMG_9418.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

IMG_9416.jpg

There is some staining of the blade, which is not surprising as I do not pamper my working knives. It does get a quick clean and a wipe of oil after use. There is no pitting or rust (one of the pics above is misleading as the colour balance looks a bit orangy/rusty.)

Lazy field sharpening with small stones has distorted the zero/scandi grind but it remains perfect in function and easy to keep shaving-sharp. A good balance between ease of sharpening, edge retention and toughness. The G10 version will hopefully be the same.

The "cracked" scales have shown no signs of shifting or splitting. I haven't had any grip issues with sweat, rain or blood on the gloss finish. Some areas of the gloss finish have lost their shine and there are a few dings. The finish is not the factory standard (see original post.)

In summary:

My opinion of the factory second Spyderco BushcraftUK remains unchanged; it is an excellent "bushcraft" knife for the money. The sheath is a bit nasty and I use a DIY affair.

I haven't looked at the price of the G10 version as I don't need it, but if I didn't have the wooden handled version I'd be looking for a G10. It should be a real work horse.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE