Spring sleeping system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I was interested , what are you guys using for your sleeping system in spring , 5-10 degree celsius.
I have a sleeping bag which I just remember I had in the wardrobe , it can be opened all the way and sometimes at this time of year I use it as a bed sheet. I dont know what the degree of it is , my father brought it about 6-7 years ago , even he doesn't remember where he got it :)
So I am waiting for the tarp to arrive , it will be here on wednesday and on saturday and sunday I want to go on a 2 day trip , the area in which I will be is a forest with not much dead standing wood and not much straight wood , so I wont be able to make a raised bed ( I will try to look for needed materials but I dont think I will find any ) this is what I think I will take , a small reflective tarp (reusable space blanket I think it is called ) a thick mat , this sleeping bag and a bivy , will it be enough for sleeping straight on the ground ? I think until next week it will even get warmer 10-15 degree I think.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
I just have the one bag, a DD Jura 2. It goes down to -5. I use it all year round and just put more clothes on in the colder months, and occasionally a wool blanket as well. Then it goes in an alpkit hunka bivvi, and I sleep on a cheap karrimor foam mat. All under my DD 3x3m tarp. The bivvi is only for wind and protect, it also just keeps it clean and dry.
Hope I haven't rambled on to much!

Happy camping !
George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I was interested , what are you guys using for your sleeping system in spring , 5-10 degree celsius.
I have a sleeping bag which I just remember I had in the wardrobe , it can be opened all the way and sometimes at this time of year I use it as a bed sheet. I dont know what the degree of it is , my father brought it about 6-7 years ago , even he doesn't remember where he got it :)
So I am waiting for the tarp to arrive , it will be here on wednesday and on saturday and sunday I want to go on a 2 day trip , the area in which I will be is a forest with not much dead standing wood and not much straight wood , so I wont be able to make a raised bed ( I will try to look for needed materials but I dont think I will find any ) this is what I think I will take , a small reflective tarp (reusable space blanket I think it is called ) a thick mat , this sleeping bag and a bivy , will it be enough for sleeping straight on the ground ? I think until next week it will even get warmer 10-15 degree I think.

Exactly how warm you will be will depend greatly on the quality of your sleep system, it's impossible to say if you'll be warm enough without knowing how badly the cold effects you, what kind of bag etc...

A space blanket is NOT a tarp, they're a very thin plastic sheet with a foil layer, definitely not good tarp material and unlikely to keep rain off when the wind rips it to bits. Get a proper tarp, these can be cheap builder tarps, all the way up to expensive options. Personally, i only have experience of either Alpkit's tarp range or the issue basha, both are very good.

Get a good sleeping bag, at least 3 season, from a reputable make. Make sure it fits well too. Buy a liner to help keep it clean (Cheap cotton)

The bivvy will add some heat to the bag, again since you have the tarp a cheap but breathable one would work well.

The mat is very important, for both warmth & comfort. I like to use a self-inflating mat instead of a foam one, but there's nothing wrong with either option. Make sure the mat is thick enough. I wouldn't bother with any with a foil coating etc.. on them. If your bivvy is large enough you can put the mat inside it, meaning you wont roll off in the night.

Hope this helps.

Tonyuk

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
From todays trip :)

61bb773642a8.jpg

8c01d2212e7c.jpg

073fca524a84.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE