Spring has sprung

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a little flock of the long tailed tits, lovely to see them flitter into the garden, but goldfinches are really rare and so are siskins. We used to see more of both, but not for years now.

M

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
We have tons of Goldfinches around the Wigan area. One of the most common bird I see daily. I saw my first butterfly of the year yesterday too.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Feels like the longest Winter ever so glad its finally springing. Ramsons in everything before long :happy:

Here on the hills in mid-Wales it feels like the longest autumn - very wet and windy but only a handful of hard frosts and even then, the layer of ice on the animal drinking buckets has been in mm rather than inches.

First curlew heard this week as they return to their breeding grounds. Good luck to them in their efforts to raise young, they will need it! :(

Nugs

Feb 21, 2020
Devon
A pair of pipistrelles flying around the garden this evening, definitely a sign that spring has sprung as they have left my loft after their winter slumber.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
It really has! Sprung, I mean.The weather is gorgeous here. Though I was watching some geese flying South yesterday. Character standing next to me remarked that she hoped they were simply mistaken and going the wrong way

Last edited:

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I saw my first wood anemones of the year, in flower, on a sunny slope two weeks ago now. The same woods are also full of well advanced bluebell shoots. This week I was making a cup of tea in the woods and saw my first greater spotted woodpecker too, I've heard them, and green woodpeckers, quite a few times already, but this was my first sighting. The same day I noticed that the buds on some of the hornbeams had opened into the first tiny little leaves. It's all go!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
No snow, strange, no migrating birds yet, but the frozen lake is making the most out-of season noices. Usually ice makes those noises when it is freezing or contracting from cold weather. Nothing is as it should.:greyalien:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Just walked down the lane to the post box, and saw my first pair of swallows for this year :). Great to see them slicing around the air, having flown away from their perch on the power line. Fair cheered me up it did.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Six weeks and sure enough, 3rd weekend in April and there are reports of Rufous male humming birds in the district again.
The SE flower beds against the basement walls have peonie buds up maybe 2 cm.
The grape vines will be the very last things to leaf out then look out! Usually 6-10' new growth every summer.
Time for kefthedes and tabouleh!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just walked down the lane to the post box, and saw my first pair of swallows for this year :). Great to see them slicing around the air, having flown away from their perch on the power line. Fair cheered me up it did.

Not seen a single one yet; last year they were here in the last week of March - I think they're obeying the no-travel rules :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE