Spring flowers (and other spring things)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well, spring has sprung, and it is my favourite time of year. It is my habit to keep a mental list of flowering herbaceous (i.e. non-woody) plant species as I encounter them. They have to be in flower to count, even if I can identify them anyway. Seeing each one for the first time in the year is like greeting on old friend. It always makes me smile.

When I get to about 20 species, I tend to stop counting, because so much starts to appear at once. Here is my list to date, all found incidentally, rather than me making a point of looking for them:

1. Daisy
2. Dandelion
3. Snowdrop
4. Lesser Celandine
5. Marsh Marigold
6. Cuckoo flower/Lady's smock
7. Germander speedwell
8. Hedge garlic/garlic mustard
9. Common chickweed
10. Dog violet
11. Wild daffodil (incidentally, non-wild plants don't count either)
12. Cow parsley
13. Hairy wood-rush
14. Primrose
15. Cowslip
16. Wood anemone
17. Barren strawberry
18. Wood sorrel
19. Wood forget-me-not
20. Coltsfoot
21. Bugle

Obviously I could get more if I actually went out specially searching, and I am sure I have forgotten a few. Notice no bluebells or ramsons yet. Lots about, but not yet in flower here in South East Wales.

Other spring things are 2 swallows, one bat, and an adder, plus a few insects like early bumble bee, green tiger beetle, and 4 species of butterfly.

I'm sure other people can add to this. I'd be interested to know what is in flower in your area.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Coltsfoot,
Dandelion,
Cuckoo smock,
Daisy,
Primrose,
Lungwort,
Heather,
Bog Myrtle,
Heartsease,
Lesser Celandine,
Ransoms,
Narcissus,
Hairy Bittercress,

I love this time of year :D

cheers,
Toddy

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks guys. Everyone is saying things are late this year. Certainly the local orchids are way behind last year (and the site that I discovered a few weeks ago with 50 early purple orchids on has just been dug up for building a car park :eek::cussing::mad:)

I can add heather, greater stitchwort, herb robert, and bluebells to my list after today, plus another swallow.:)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Theres plenty hyacinths now too. :)

The Ramsons are probably on the verge of going over.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE