Sprang

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
This is a very old technique for producing a net like material. From the research I have done on the web, it is suggested that it is a forerunner of weaving. It looks simple to do but unfortunately my first attempt ended in a twisted mess.

http://www.denblauwenswaen.nl/public/sites/english/techniques/sprang/sprang_how_it_works.htm

I learnt from the site above. The directions are pretty simple but like most things that look easy in print, it's not.

So, has anyone else tried this technique?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, me :) Good for you having a go at it :approve:

Funnily enough I was thinking about this a little earlier when Xylaria was discussing nalbinding. Sprang makes excellent stretchy legs for nalbinding slipper things to turn them into stockings :cool:
It also makes excellent hats, and a lot quicker than weaving or knitting or crocheting them too.

What are you using as a frame ?

cheers,
M

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Lol, you are going to laugh at me for this but a clothes horse with some rope tied to two ends so I can remove it after I've done the netting.

Am I right in thinking that you don't jam it down after a pass like with weaving? I keep doing it and the sprang comes out tight and messy...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

You should have seen how I learned to make lace............clothes pegs and pins into the arm of the couch :eek:

An old picture frame works to try it out.
I don't beat the twists down but I do make them even top and bottom and then the next twists tighten them into place.
I don't do much of it but would love to go and learn how to do it properly. It can be very beautiful as well as practical. If you get the hang of it and want a shot at a fine net or bag let me know ? I've got some cops of beautiful heavy linen thread.

atb,
M

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have tried sprang, I used the clothes horse, followed the instructions and everything. Then came the time to remove the work from the clothes horse and had to cut it off really carefully and tie the ends. It does seem a very quick way of making nets. Hammocks were originally made with sprang type technique called hamacas in central america.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I'm attempting sprang again, after looking through some more sites it looks simple but from practise I... well let's just say I need more practise.

The applications for this type of material mesh seem endless and it would be good to renew his old technique. It could be lost pretty easily. Pictures and carvings make it look like knotted net and from such drawings it's hard to tell how it was created. Thinking about it, even preserved historical sprang fabric could look like a mess of threads.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE