Spoons again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just though i would show off my latest creation, carved from a hazel branch, rough shaping performed with a small axe, carving with my RM Micarta, fine carving and bowl with a spoon knife.

Just a final sand off to smooth everything over to do now

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thought i would show another, this time with my RM Micarta for scale :)

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Has nobody else got spoons to show off :confused:

Since completing the Woodlore Camp Craft course recently I have been bitten by the carving bug.:eek:

Here is a pic of the spoon I started while on the course and finished soon after, it is made form Silver Birch and has a leather cord lanyard for hanging it up.
:cool:

Here is a teaspoon that I made from birch and use daily for making tea while at work, the smooth finish didn't last long after I put it in the hot water from my flask though.:(
:D

I have several others that are work in progress including an alder cup and hornbeam spoon..

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Good work.

I have tried several my self, I can get a real nice finish to the handle but whats the trick with carving the "scoop" area of the spoon?

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Mutley said:
Good work.

I have tried several my self, I can get a real nice finish to the handle but whats the trick with carving the "scoop" area of the spoon?

Have you not seen the spoon carving/crook knives available from all good bushcraft stores.:rolleyes:

The curved shape of the blade allows you to scoop out the bowl of the spoon.:D

Here is a link to help you find one :cool:
http://www.raymears.com/shop_item_desc.cfm?id=83&itemType=Cutting Tools

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Laurence Dell said:
Here is a teaspoon that I made from birch and use daily for making tea while at work, the smooth finish didn't last long after I put it in the hot water from my flask though
Hiya Lawrence,
This is perfectly normal. When you put it in the water, the grain soaks up the water and swells up again. All you need to do is Soak the spoon for a bit and sand it smooth again. go through this proces two or three times and the wood will no longer rise leaving you with a perfectly smooth spoon.

Martin

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi guys,

For a better supply of spoon knives go to Axminster powertools, they're about 1/4 the price of Mr Mears!

Go to www.axminster.co.uk then wood carving on the left menu, then carving knives sub-category from the list under the pics in the middle.

They are about £10 - a bargain!

They also have a really good range of sharpening stones on the website (Grinding & Sharpening from the menu) including waterstones, bench stones and pocket stones - well worth a look around.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Big John said:
Hi guys,
For a better supply of spoon knives go to Axminster powertools, they're about 1/4 the price of Mr Mears!
Go to www.axminster.co.uk then wood carving on the left menu, then carving knives sub-category from the list under the pics in the middle.
They are about £10 - a bargain!
:rolleyes:
The crook knives that woodlore sell are not the same as the Frost knives from Axminster, I have both and the blade of the Frosts knife is about three times the size of the other one. OK for ladle and kuksa making etc but too big for the fine work required on a good spoon.

I will have mine with me at the WG this weekend see you there;)

How do you sharpen your crook knives?

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
I don't have one yet so wouldn't know how to sharpen one.

Out of curiosity, could you bend it to make it a stronger curve allowing better spoon carving?

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
The curve on the small knife is just fine for spoon carving I was able to make a teaspoon with it!!!

The Frosts hook knife looks like it was made by bending the blade after the bevel was put on it and the tip tapers to a sharp point whereas the other knife has a rounded tip.

I believe that they are available in left and right handed versions. I would avoid the double edged one that Axminster sell as it restricts the ways you can hold the knife for finer work like when you need to support the back of the blade with your finger :eek: ouch

A caught knife means dropped fingers!!

Isshogai

Nov 7, 2004
Wakefield West Yorkshire
AFAIK Axminster do two different sizes of Hook knife, one with a 15mm Radius and one with a 25mm Radius. The smaller one is absolutely fine for spoons large or small, and the 25mm one (double edged) is good for Kasa and bowls. I've never had a problem using the double edged one...... ;)

May 20, 2005
What does everyone treat their spoons with?
I've heard about using sun flower oil and linseed oil, but will i be able to eat with it if i've put linseed oil on it, the oils doesn't look very tasty!

Chris

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
I wouldn't use linseed oil if you are going to eat with it but Sunflower oil should be fine. You could use Olive Oil but it would prob stay sticky.

What I have used is a food safe finishing oil from Chestnut Products that my Dad who is a woodturner had. It is easy to apply and has a nice clear satin finish.

Anybody know if Danish Oil is OK? I have never used it but it is often mentioned.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
jem seeley said:
Woodland Craft Supplies(www.fxferry.demon.co.uk)also sell the Svante Djarv spoon knives which are available for £27.75(35mm) & £29.75(55mm) These are vastly better quality than the Frosts ones & well worth the extra outlay.They also are made left or right handed.

Those are the knives I meant, they are worth it! :)
Jem
That would be a great link and a worthwhile saving but it doesn't seem to work? :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE