Spoonage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I just want each of those in my hand; they all fairly leapt out of the photos at me.

Superb masterful work.

Reactions: Dean

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good designs and carvings. I'm so biased towards the lack of symmetry, tool marks and imperfections.
Over the years, they get to be good kitchen companions.

What did you rub into the kolrossing in the Staghorn Sumac?

Reactions: Dean

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Good designs and carvings. I'm so biased towards the lack of symmetry, tool marks and imperfections.
Over the years, they get to be good kitchen companions.

What did you rub into the kolrossing in the Staghorn Sumac?

Sorry Robson the pattern is carved in, I was thinking of kolrosing it but that meant popping upstairs to the kitchen for the coffee whilst I had the chip carving knives in my bag.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The pattern looked stained. Cinnamon was the first that came to mind. Espresso is good, too!
To me, these spoons, and many of the works from Kepis and others, are a showcase for attractive wood grain.
There's more of an aesthetic than simple function.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
The Tulip spoon must have been very difficult!

All are fantastic though!

The most difficult part of making this spoon was knowing when to put the knife down and calling it a day.

The pattern looked stained. Cinnamon was the first that came to mind. Espresso is good, too!
To me, these spoons, and many of the works from Kepis and others, are a showcase for attractive wood grain.
There's more of an aesthetic than simple function.

I believe there is nothing wrong with having a aesthetically pleasing functional piece of treen. Here in Wales we have been decorating spoons for hundreds of years although I decorate my lovespoons (technical exercises) it is only recently due to the Sloyd group on facebook have I started decorating my practical spoons. Every time I go to a camp I carve a simple spoon and I used to throw it on the fire after use, now I tend to carve one and give it away at the camp, what makes it aesthetically pleasing is that it is handmade.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Top notch work! Yes, that sumac is so dramatic....I have some, but I haven't had the best luck with it. My pieces tend to the softer side of what I'm comfortable with, but I know hardness varies within a species.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE