Spoon Material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Having admired pictures of the spoons that a lot of people make, a thought sprang to mind. Which type of spoon do you preferr to use when you are out and about. The reason I ask is in my former life (24 years an infantry soldier) there was a fad for using wooden spoons in the field. Sure there was reduced noise when eating from mess tins or a metal mug. Sure you could lick your spoon and taste food some time after you had finished eating. But you couldn't steralise it over a fire, if you tried to steralise it in hot water the water went greasy (water is not a resource you generally have a lot of). At one stage the boss banned them due the number of men going down with the trots.

A metal spoon was found to be more hygenic, could be polished to shine as an improvised heliograph ( used by a pal of mine in Jordan when comms went out and they had a bit of a drama) Metal spoons can be sharpened to make an improvised tool. Metal in the Arctic can be a problem.

Plastic spoons were commonly used but again steralising them by fire or boiling posed problems. I have seen china spoons carried (probably on loan from restaurants) but they tend to break.

I now use a metal spoon with a plastic handle. So what do YOU prefer ?
Keep the spoon pics comming the work is fantastic.

Smarty

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
I've just got a titanium spork to try out. I usually have a wooden spoon. I haven't had a problem with it so far, I clean it in water usually. ;)

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
O you guys got it all wrong just get some twigs make chop sticks new one every time now thats bushcrafting

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
It has been my habit, for some years, to bring a crooked knife - rather than a spoon, and make a wooden spoon for the first meal. Just showing off - I suppose.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE