Spoon knives: Left AND right?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Just wondering if anyone here uses both a left handed and right handed spoon knife. I've only ever used a right handed spoon knife and haven't encountered any major problems. Is it just a marketing ploy or is there an actual benefit to using both?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
One cuts towards you, the other away from you. I prefer the ones that cut away from you, left handed ones i think. Much safer in use. But, saying that, there are times when a right hander would come in handy for the awkward bits the lefty struggles with. :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
they allow you to do push and pull cuts - but they also allow you to do yourself an injury when you forget the blade is double sided and push with your thumb on the edge or pull with your knuckle.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I only use one for spooncarving and adapt grips to suite. For kuksas ladles and similar deep hollowing you find there are two quarters that are virtually impossible to get clean cuts without a lefty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE