Spoon knives: good and bad?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hello chaps, I would like some advice on spoon knives.

Are the mora ones any good? I've heard mixed reviews in the past..

What sort of shape would be best for boaring out bowls, spoons and cups?

What sort of price am I looking at for one that will work and last?

If you can recommend one, can you please insert a link.

Cheers for any help :)

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I personally find the frosts mora ones to be terrible. I wrote an article in our magazine an issue or too back and showcased the five or six makers that i have spoons knives from. By far my favourites are still Nic Westermans (member here on BCUK) His spoons knives are around £30 sans handle and worth every penny.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ah ok, cheers! do you have any advice on what sort of shape would be best for an all rounder? I have plenty of plum seasoned and alive I intend to work on but not alot of money to buy multiple knives..

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
aren't the moras like £20? would I be better off spending that extra tenner to get a hand made one?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nothing wrong with the Mora ones if you are prepared to put a little bit of work into them, Sean Hellman did a great video on the Mora spoon knives not that long ago that shows some of the steps needed to bring it up to par.

[video=youtube;xcMMBRh_SzA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcMMBRh_SzA&feature=pl cp[/video]

I use Mora spoon knives and some superb ones from Ben Orford, on an almost daily basis, Ben's ones are without a doubt a superior tool, but you pays your money and takes your choice, all depends on how much money you want to spend?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ah thank you for that video! was really fun to watch and clearly makes the knife much better. That workshop looks like beaver heaven! :lmao:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
does Ben Orford have regular supply of spoon knives? and how much are they?

are there any spoon knives anyone would avoid altogether?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I use a small right handed hooked gouge by S, Djarv Hantverk AB, been using for the last 6 years for spoons large and small, Cups and bowls, I takes and holds a very good edge, if you type "S. Djärv Hantverk uk" into google you'll find places to buy them:) gonna be adding a large right hand and a carving knife soon too:D

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I use a small right handed hooked gouge by S, Djarv Hantverk AB, been using for the last 6 years for spoons large and small, Cups and bowls, I takes and holds a very good edge, if you type "S. Djärv Hantverk uk" into google you'll find places to buy them:) gonna be adding a large right hand and a carving knife soon too:D
they look very nice!

Would you suggest I go for the small standard or the medium? I'll likely be doing small stuff and hopefully some cups so will need something that can go deep down in narrowish spaces.

I think I may go with one of these, they look superb and I want to help keep British makers going.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Go for the medium, i use mine all the time on things from tea spoons to Kuksas and bowls, i have a small one as well and although i do use it, the medium gets used probably on a ratio of 10 to 1

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Go for the medium, i use mine all the time on things from tea spoons to Kuksas and bowls, i have a small one as well and although i do use it, the medium gets used probably on a ratio of 10 to 1

nice one mate! I'llsee if I can get one in the next few days! thanks for the input fellas!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got an FGYT spoon knife & it's great. I don't like the Mora double sided ones as they look dangerous to use - I like to be able to push my blade with my thumb

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Look HERE to see some opinions
doesn't look like the thread has been updated in a long time.. maybe a revival is needed?

I stopped using a spoon knife all together, and now just use a gouge. I find it much more comfortable, and it ends up stuck in my hand a lot less often: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/09/henry-taylor-acorn-gouge-review.html I use a small one because it is portable, but for larger projects, I would get a larger one, or perhaps a set.

that is interesting! how does it fare on bottoms of bowls and such tasks like that? (your blog is very good btw, really informative and a good read!)

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
have a look at Nic's site for some alternatives. www.nicwestermann.co.uk
One of the good things about my spoon carving courses i have been told is that folk get to try lots of different knives and can find whats comfortable for them. Maybe find someone in your area that will let you try some out before you buy?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
have a look at Nic's site for some alternatives. www.nicwestermann.co.uk
One of the good things about my spoon carving courses i have been told is that folk get to try lots of different knives and can find whats comfortable for them. Maybe find someone in your area that will let you try some out before you buy?

If my local shops stocked this sort of thing I would have been there and had a mooch already! you guys are the only people I can ask for opinions and advice.

maybe I need to move to a shire with all the other bumpkins? :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE