Spoon knives: good and bad?

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
I've got an FGYT spoon knife & it's great. I don't like the Mora double sided ones as they look dangerous to use - I like to be able to push my blade with my thumb
Although you're right, they are quite dangerous, i find i do use both sides of the blade. Especially on bowls if i want to work with the grain. Don't you guys have trouble with cutting against the grain with a one sided crookknive? Or do you own two knives, a left and a right one?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I stopped using a spoon knife all together, and now just use a gouge. I find it much more comfortable, and it ends up stuck in my hand a lot less often: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/09/henry-taylor-acorn-gouge-review.html I use a small one because it is portable, but for larger projects, I would get a larger one, or perhaps a set.

Being a carpenter by trade I also find using a gouge much nicer when carving hollows such as the spoon bowl. I suppose because i am so used to holding a chisel and using them effectively, so switching to a new method of using a spoon knife just didn't seem to work so well. I was able to get much better result with a gouge and there was no issue with working against the grain either. Basic precautions need to be put in place and having the tool sharp makes for a lot easier working system.

I've owned two spoon knives - a Frost and the Flexcut. Both were fine and dandy but I found myself using the gouge more often than not. If you're used to using a knife more than a chisel then go with the hand tool that suits your working style best. But that's just my opinion.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I use a small right handed hooked gouge by S, Djarv Hantverk AB, been using for the last 6 years for spoons large and small, Cups and bowls, I takes and holds a very good edge, if you type "S. Djärv Hantverk uk" into google you'll find places to buy them:) gonna be adding a large right hand and a carving knife soon too:D

Another vote for the S.Djarv tools, I have several. I haven't seen Ben Orford's spoon knives, but I know his work, well worth a look too.

I stopped using a spoon knife all together, and now just use a gouge. I find it much more comfortable, and it ends up stuck in my hand a lot less often:
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/09/henry-taylor-acorn-gouge-review.html I use a small one because it is portable, but for larger projects, I would get a larger one, or perhaps a set.

That is something I have thought about, for the ease of carrying and size if nothing else, thanks for the link. :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I had a chat with Ben Orford on the phone earlier and have made an order for the medium right handed knife. Should be here by friday and Ben was a great guy to do business with! I'll follow up with some pic's.

rg598

Native
that is interesting! how does it fare on bottoms of bowls and such tasks like that? (your blog is very good btw, really informative and a good read!)

Thank you. It does well, although, it has a smaller cutting area than some spoon knives like the Mora, so if you are working on a larger object like a bowl, it will take longer. If i was going to carve something larger, I would switch to a larger gouge. This one does well on smaller items like spoons and cups.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Although you're right, they are quite dangerous, i find i do use both sides of the blade. Especially on bowls if i want to work with the grain. Don't you guys have trouble with cutting against the grain with a one sided crookknive? Or do you own two knives, a left and a right one?

I have brought one of these and yes you do have to be careful, but like the way it cuts in both directions, think the answer is with these type is to make sure its realy sharpe as you dont have to use much force.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thank you. It does well, although, it has a smaller cutting area than some spoon knives like the Mora, so if you are working on a larger object like a bowl, it will take longer. If i was going to carve something larger, I would switch to a larger gouge. This one does well on smaller items like spoons and cups.

If I were to also get a gouge, where would be a good place to start looking? and what sort of size/style would suit my purposes best in your opinion?

I googled henry taylor but his site isn't working properly for me..

rg598

Native

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE