spoon knife

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Finally made myself a spoon knife. And I love the thing! Can't believe I haven't made one before now. I like the gouge for certain parts of spoon making, but you can't beat the hook knife for cleaning up the bottom of a bowl or reaching deep.

1-P1260439.JPG

1-P1260449.JPG

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very well done. What were your thoughts about center hafting vs surface hafting (like the common style among carvers in the Pacific Northwest?)
I've bought blades and done maybe a dozen, PacNW style. . ..no end to my curiosity!

I found the first one was a bit of a stumble with no mentoring. All the rest are just work.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks all. Robson, my first attempt at the curved knife was the PacNW style crooked knife. I just couldn't get it to work for me. I want to give it another go. This one, on the other hand, was great right off.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Whittler, I can't tell either! I intended it to be outside sharpened. I use a fine stone on the outside, then strop. For the inside I use a piece of round pipe with fine sandpaper glued to it, more of a strop than sharpening. From this photo I just took it seems the bevels are evenly distributed on both sides. Since this was my first one, the final effect is more accidental than purposeful. After using it for awhile, I'll know more what I want, and hopefully be able to produce it in a blade. I welcome any thoughts you all have on this.

1-P1260487.JPG

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's one good carving knife.
Farrier's hoof knives (single edge) and all the crooked carving knives (double edged) here in the Pacific Northwest are "in-cannel,"
that is, the single bevel is on the top, the inside of the sweep curve. The underside is usually hollowground a little.

For edge management, pipe is the way to go.
I use several pieces of thin-walled 3/4" aluminum tubing.
The abrasives (800 grit, 1500 grit & CrOx/AlOx on office filing card)
are wrapped around the tubes and secured with no more than masking tape.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE