Spoon knife sharpening tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bombadil

:wave: Just got me first spoon knife :biggthump , having always used a gouge before now, anyone got any tips one what's best for sharpening the tricky little blighter?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Use a bit of wet and dry paper wrapped around a piece of dowl..... that should do the trick for getting into the curve of the blade ;-)

Ed

B

bombadil

Cheers....
I got the frost one form Axeminster, it does need a bit of edge prep, for sure!

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
If its the double edged one i find that if you use a course sharpening stone and a lot of elbow grease :wink: you can get rid of the ridges from the belly side of the blade takes a good while! but is worth it as getting and maintaining an edge is much easier,and the angle needed to carve a good bowl i find is better (IMO :wink:) concentrate on the little raised ridges and try to keep away from the cutting edge to start with untill you have a convex double edged blade then i reduce the grit on the stone to a fine one and get the edge on the belly side then use either a pice of wet and dry on a dowel on the inside of the curve or i use a small curved slip stone on the inside edge when i am satisfyed i get the strop out and some polishing compound and give it one up with that,i find then maintaining the edge with the honing compound and strop and may be a lite going over with a fine grit stone is all thats needed to keep the edge, works for me .....

B

bombadil

oooh....yeh....
Forgot to mention that the bevel is on the outside of the bend, (which makes it a bit more awkward to sharpen evenly, I think). It's the single edged on (right handed). I've had a crack with a ceramic rod and a round steel with limited success so far, (but then, I only got it yesterday and haven't had much time to indulge myself yet!). :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE