Spoon knife - other than mora?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobrien1

Nov 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Hi everyone,
I know it's been covered before but I couldn't find a definitive answer!
I'm after a good all-rounder spoon knife but seeing as how it's my first one I don't really want to pay through the roof for it.
I've heard a lot of poor reviews about the mora spoon knives so I'm looking for alternatives.
I'd really like one of FGYT's spoon knives, they look brilliant well priced and everyone says good things about them, however it seems impossible to get in contact with him! Must be a busy man.
Are there any other makers or production spoon knives that fit the bill?

Tom.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I believe FGYT is currently mid house move which why it's hard to get hold of him

There's a variety of hook knifes on Ray Mears site but you'll probably find them cheaper elsewhere.

Personally I swear by the ones made by Dave Budd on here. Everyone who's tried using mine has ended up buying some off of Dave, maybe I ought to get a sales commisssion from him :rolleyes: :lmao:

Edit... Just noticed you're in Hertfordshire Tom, If you want to pop over and have a play with some spoon knives you'd be more than welcome :) I've even got some some wood handy as well LOL

Last edited:

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Hi Tom,

I started with a Mora 164 but quickly (and painfully) got annoyed with the pointless point on it :mad:- keep meaning to grind it off.

I now mainly use a Svante Djarv standard Spoon/Crook knife (also called Skedkniv) which i really like although the blade is quite thick and inflexible. I've tried a mates Ben Orford knives and really liked those.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I believe FGYT is currently mid house move which why it's hard to get hold of him

There's a variety of hook knifes on Ray Mears site but you'll probably find them cheaper elsewhere.

Personally I swear by the ones made by Dave Budd on here. Everyone who's tried using mine has ended up buying some off of Dave, maybe I ought to get a sales commisssion from him :rolleyes: :lmao:

Edit... Just noticed you're in Hertfordshire Tom, If you want to pop over and have a play with some spoon knives you'd be more than welcome :) I've even got some some wood handy as well LOL

I am awaiting my Dave Budd spoon knife...... I tried out Mesquites and was hooked!

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Try Whittler Kev, he's on here. has just made me one and blade is the business. give him a PM i did a trade with him but he has good stuff on his site.

Thanks for the recommendation. I made two when I did yours so have another one sit here ;)
Got to say FYGT definitely puts a lot of time in to his and has worked from tips from Robin Wood the spoon carver to get his spot on
Dave Budd's reputation is also on par with FYGT's as both are second to none

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Hans Karlsson and Svante Djarv are both great.

Woodland Craft Supplies sells them both - do a Google search, because WCS appear to be changing ISP at the moment.

(No affiliation to WCS)

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE