Spoon grain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I was always told to carve the bowl of the spoon on the outer edge of the half of wood (i.e. from the bark side) so that the strength of the wood works with the spoon. I notice that in one of RM's shows in belarus, he carves the bowl out from the middle. How much difference does it actually make?

Cheers

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I would not have thought it makes much of a difference on something as small as a spoon.
In both instances the wood would dry and shrink slighly across the spoon, making it slighly narrower than what you started with assuming you started from green wood.

If you cut a slice across a tree trunk when it's green it will shrink tangentially and form radial cracks. If I am not making much sense, which would not surprise me a all :rolleyes: :D I'll put a drawing, they being worth a thousand words.... :D

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Err kind of :D.

I have some seasoned wood, and want to make a kuksa. Will it matter whether I start carving from the inside or the outside.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
radialcracks.jpg

radialcracksinwood.jpg

Those were scannned from Green woodwork by mike Abbott.
He also says in the book, that to make small bowl, egg cup and goblet size the grain can running between the centres like that:
woodgrain.jpg

However, its a pain trying to carve end grain! much easier to carve if the wood grain goes the other way.

oops the photos are a bit big :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE