Spokeshaves and Spoons

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I like to use a spokeshave when making spoons and other domestic wares, as I find it easier to get good clean lines, rather than trying to take a final planing cut with a knife. I have an old Record spokeshave which has been my workhorse tool, but I have recently purchased a new one - the Veritas Miniature Spokeshave. (Curse you Axminster for your website of shiny temptation!)

You don't get a lot of metal for your £40 - it really is tiny, but also a perfectly formed functioning tool. The small size makes it a bit fiddly to adjust, but also means it can be controlled one handed, which obviates the need for a work holding device.

Here it is with the Record shave for comparison, as well as some recent spoons.

I've been trying to rationalize my spoon carving kit lately, keeping the "core tools" in a Maxpedition pouch, and other tools in my larger toolbag. Now I can promote the spokeshave to "core tool" status. By the way, it creates lovely fine shavings that will catch from a Ferro rod.

Anyone else here a fan of the humble spokeshave?

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Awwww cute. I bet that'll be a cracker once it grows up.

Seriously though, I've never seen one that small before, I'm impressed! I have a wooden spokeshave that's only about 5 inches long and that's pretty sweet to use, but needs two hands. Thanks for posting pix of that. Nice spoonage too.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Very cute :)
But it does look very awkward to use, I am very tempted to get a few violin makers planes though.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I like the look of that though, with my stupidly long fingers and fat hands, it may be just a little too small!

Lovely, cleanly-shaped spoons.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE