Spokeshave advice

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm on the lookout for a spokeshave to turn some Ash staves into handles (hammer, axes etc.) there seem to be a few different types on the market - flat, rounded and others.

Could do with some advice as I've never used one in anger - I'm guessing rounded would be better for a surface that is already curved?

Oh btw - if anyone has a good one going spare please drop me a PM.

Thanks

Mike

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
For long flat stuff flat bottom spokeshave for curves and especially internal curves round base spokeshave

Jason

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Have a word with Biker - He might find one at his funny Frenchy markets :p

Rough your work out with an axe then finish it with the spokeshave. (obvious I know)

Have you considered a draw knife - check evil bay - you often see curved ones crop up which will do the job.

Andy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
For long flat stuff flat bottom spokeshave for curves and especially internal curves round base spokeshave

Jason

I was taught that the flat spokeshave was for flat surfaces and external curves. The round base spokeshave was only used for internal curves

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I was taught that the flat spokeshave was for flat surfaces and external curves. The round base spokeshave was only used for internal curves

Thats what i have said ,i just did not mention a flat bottom for external curves, but a round base spoke shave will do all jobs no problem once you know how to use it ,i tend to use a round base for most of my work it just a far more flexable tool

Jason

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Thats what i have said ,i just did not mention a flat bottom for external curves, but a round base spoke shave will do all jobs no problem once you know how to use it ,i tend to use a round base for most of my work it just a far more flexable tool

Jason

I'm the opposite and use my flat spoke shave for everything except for very tight internal curves. :rolleyes:
Depends very much on the spoke shave though, mine has quite a short base compared to the modern ones I've used, and the blade is superb (it was my great grandfathers, who was a master carpenter).

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I'm the opposite and use my flat spoke shave for everything except for very tight internal curves. :rolleyes:
Depends very much on the spoke shave though, mine has quite a short base compared to the modern ones I've used, and the blade is superb (it was my great grandfathers, who was a master carpenter).
The old ones are the best !
I suppose every one has there own preference ,I just like using the round base one because i can set the blade height and then vary the amount i take of by turning it in my hand ,just saves me setting the blade all the time ,but then again i have been working wood for 25 + years ,this technique maybe not for a beginner

Jason

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I like the old wooden ones like this
images

They are good cheap and far nicer to use than the metal ones.
You don't need one though I make axe handles using only an axe and knife.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I like the old wooden ones like this
images

They are good cheap and far nicer to use than the metal ones.
You don't need one though I make axe handles using only an axe and knife.

Yip they are nice ! but all the tap the blade up and down gets a bit of a pain after a while but still nice to use and the blades are usually very good steel

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE