Splitting maul or axe

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The head fell off my cheap fibreglass handled splitting maul and buying a resin kit would cost almost as much as a completely new unit.

Without forking out for a GB, can someone recommend a cheaper replacement?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Get another cheap maul? As Red says, re-handle it

I really like the maul i picked up from Aldi a few years ago, it splits really well, I think it was about £9, it's a little short for me but does a good job. I've got a small GB maul but i tend to sue the aldi one a lot more...
I think I'm trying to say there's some really good cheap products.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I tend to really abuse my splitting maul so a wood handle wouldn't last long, I fear.

Wondered about the roughneck one, thanks

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would suggest padding the neck and the shoulder of the maul like the two you can see here using some sort of collar

Synthetic Axes and mauls by British Red, on Flickr

Some people use tin snips and metal, I prefer padding with thin closed cell foam secured with duct tape. Doesn't look pretty, but saves the maul!

However, if you want a new one, I like a thin bitted maul like the one shown third from left

Trad Axes by British Red, on Flickr

Its a Hultafors and works really well. Nothing wrong with the Aldi / Lidl / Screwfix types either - they all work

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the oregon splitting maul, I have split several tons over the last 5 or 6 years, think i pain around 40 squid for it

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I use the aldi/lidl maul and they're good, albeit, as Tony says, a bit short.

Another good one is the fiskars maul that Wayland uses.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v split an awful lot of wood with a roughneck maul....I think they are a belting splitter, for the money you wont go wrong fella

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks, peeps. Birthday coming up so might treat myself to a branded one but hoping to hire a petrol log splitter before then as have quite a backlog!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can do a LOT with the electric pneumatic splitters. I have a ten tonne model, splits some really gnarly stuff.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Might be worth the investment but I reckon with a commercial unit I can split them all in a day & then I don't have to service it. Will clear up a lot of space too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE