Splitting large tree stumps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 4, 2011
england
Hi guys how do you go about splitting a large section of a tree for example about 1 meter diameter :( if that makes any sense

I have a small hatchet, a bow saw and a large sledge hammer :(

Help :confused:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
You can do it and green wedges will open the split up but not start it. Better make wedges from harder drier wood than that you want to split if you can.
I did a big oak here http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/02/cleaving-big-oak-with-hand-tools.html

bradfield+bridge-15.jpg

You can start the split with your hatchet then get a wooden wedge in right alongside to open it up.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Put the hatch in and tap it down so you have a nice groove, remove hatchet, insert wedge and start it off, then drive it home, when the wedge is well in insert another and continue untill it splits. If it doesn split all the way through and the wedges are all the way in just put another on top to drive it down

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
you said on your title, tree stumps. They are not easy to split out with any system manual or machine. A straight clear section like that in the picture will almost split itself once its started as Robin described. I just split up (by hand) over 3 tons of willow, basically the healthy remains of an entire mature treee, 4 foot across at the base. Most of it was easy to do, but the base sections were not. The grain runs diagonal, this way that way knitted together in all directions depending on where the root system joined the trunk of the tree. In the end I chainsawed it into smaller sections and then went at it with a heavy splitting maul, but it took WAY longer than normal clear logs..... LOL there is a firewood wholesaler across the road from here (didnt buy the willow from him), I cant imagine why theres a mountain of rooty sections at one end of the yard. I dont think even their 30+ton splitter can break them down...
One tip, if you have a "Y" section, your instinct is to aim the axe in the vee. But the grain is attempting to prevent the Y of the branches from breaking apart-as it grows when its living, and now the same as you try to split it. So, try this-turn the wood 90 degrees so your looking at the side of the Y, not its front, and split that way, so you get 2 half Y's so to speak. It always works. Cheers Jonathan :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
As all have said - wedges and a sledge hammer are your best bet.

I've split 1m+ rounds this way easily enough.

As said - tree stumps will be a bit harder.

All the best
Andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rounds are easy. I suggest splitting a knotty gnarled stump with wooden wedges will not work at all. Junctions are bad, rooty stumps are the pits. Really the only way is a chainsaw or a large crosscut saw and a load of work. Two I had recently just got pitched into the brush pile and burned - took three days to go out!

They get left for a reason as others have said!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE