Split Faced Monkey Fist Knot (ABOK 2207) Tutorial

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
caNNyHV.jpg

A split faced monkey needs an even number of turns. In thias case I made 6 turns around my jig and took the Working End to the right.

oRvuZNF.jpg

then I took the WE Under 3 strands, Over 3 strands, 3 times.

Jh6RADq.jpg

Next I went Over 3, Under 3 strands 3 times

7gzd5F8.jpg

In order to keep the over under sequence correct bring the WE across the top of the knot and around the upper left hand peg of the jig.

zkehsNL.jpg

Begin Under over weaving immediately as you go down the left hand side of the knot. When you get to the top side of the knot bring the WE under 3 strands over 4 and continue the weave.

X0Xg1wm.jpg

After completing the under over sequence, so that you do not have 2 overs in sequence bring the WE under all 6 strands on the left hand side.

fiajIYz.jpg

When you get to the top of the knot bring the WE Over 4 Under 3 and continue the over, under sequence

E5O5nrg.jpg

31kgKdv.jpg

Take the MF off the jig and slowly tighten the knot. You will notice that there are 3 places where there is an extra strand that is under all 6 strands of the crossing face (see center of untightened knot photo). If you want you can make a loop of this strand by bring it up in the middle of the face as I did in the first photo. Tony

Last edited:

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Very well done. I have never before seen the use of a mandrel for the MF and I am impressed.
I was doing a bit of knotwork this weekend, for a local historic marine society, and got absolutely fed-up with Stars and coxcombing on curtain rings....this tutorial of yours, is something I just have to include as an option.

Almost 70 and never stopped learning knots.

Regards
Ceeg

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
Very well done. I have never before seen the use of a mandrel for the MF and I am impressed.
I was doing a bit of knotwork this weekend, for a local historic marine society, and got absolutely fed-up with Stars and coxcombing on curtain rings....this tutorial of yours, is something I just have to include as an option.

Almost 70 and never stopped learning knots.

Regards
Ceeg

I just turned 73 and still tying and teaching knots.

Here is a bent bit of clothes hanger. Size it to the diameter of the core you are covering. MUCH easier than tying around your fingers and less cord required (I have fat fingers). Tony
jig.jpg

Use the wooden jig for the split faced knot. Pull out the dowels to release the knot. The bends in the wire jig make it very difficult to release the knot.

I tried 3 colors using the split face technique. Opposite colors are yellow red, yellow black and red black.
Vx7Hg2w.jpg

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Ahhhhhhh! "pull the dowels out, to release the knot".

Ruefully, I just have to say that, this one priceless bit of info would have saved me from a rather dramatic and self-recriminatory episode, this morning.

As is my wont, I dived right in and fabbed up a jig with scantlins and durability to qualify for Ice class 1 at Lloyds. Not only that, I'm afraid that, in my enthusiasm, I just failed to realize that the dowels were just slotted in...and I used some metal epoxy to secure the ploddy things against the rigours of any passing mid- lat depression.

Which perhaps, goes some way in explaining why I was completely stumped when it came to releasing.
My wife was in fits of hysterics and I was just about apoplectic with frustration... even the dog took cover.

So I sawed off the dowels and went away to cool off.

Life is so funny, sometimes.

Thanks for the clarification.

regards
Ceeg

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Nice work, thanks for taking the time to write it up and share with us.

I wonder, is the finished knot the same as a globe knot?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE