Splint baskets

Does anyone know what european woods are suitable for splint baskets? There seems to be more of a tradition amongst native american cultures and the scandnavian countries and not so much here.

There is one last craftsman in the lakes still making a living making and teaching oak swill baskets which I would love to learn how to do. Once thin strips of oak are cleaved from the trunk they are boiled and take on a really flexible and pliable nature.

The americans seem to use black ash (faxinus nigra) and I was wondering if our fraxinus excelsior would also work? This time the strips are pounded off the trunk; pounding compresses the annual rings and delaminates the wood allowing you to peel off strips

And an example from finland that I saw used pine.

Without planting more I was wondering what the availability of suitable woods (timbers) might be, especially from the bushcrafters perspective where we might be just passing through and not being involved in agroforestry and woodland management.

Leo

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oak, Ash and Chestnut were widely used here. We have a lot of coppicing history here though, and that yielded rods from Hazel and Willow that were more widely used for basketry in the UK.

From your latter point, use bark. It's probably more easily obtained from side shoots that cutting down entire trees. Even our very thin Birch bark can be woven and sewn into the equivalent of those splint baskets. It's fine for something like that, even the stuff from fallen trees where the core has rotted out leaving the hollow bark tube.

cheers,
Toddy

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
There are 3 indigenous split wood baskets the swill which is associated with Cumbria but there was a version in the black country and also a Derbyshire version both slightly different.

Then there is the sussex trug made from willow and the Devon Splint basket a very strong basket which was made from softwood splints nailed to a base and rim almost like a stave built vessel. There was only one maker and he died but I remember finding a website a while ago about a guy who I think had the original formers and was setting up doing them.

In mainland Europe particularly Eastern European Gypsies make wonderful frame baskets using splints made from willow and hazel. This is much more appropriate bushcraft stuff. Bend a hazel rod over your knee until it is under tension, put a nick in it with your knife, then bend it hard until the nick begins to open. Now with it still under tension ideally using your knife pick up the edge of your splint and peel it off.

Sweet chestnut and oak can be worked and are in Northern Spain without boiling but by standing the cleft sections over a fire wigwam fasion and turning them untill they are hot, then riving them whilst hot.

Owen's courses are fantastic by the way but since he did Victorian Farm they have been booked up well in advance. Bit of Owen riving and weaving on the 2nd and 3rd videos on this page http://www.heritagecrafts.org.uk/video.html

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I saw once a chairmaker on an american site who used a MASSIVE jack plane that was set to take a heavy cut. He run it on a long, clean and green board (not sure what species maybe red or white oke, or hickerie??) to produce planed splints for to weave chair seats

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Here's a picture of a delaminated ash mallet. I did try once banging away on an ash log to delaminated the annual rings, but I did not do do it long or hard enough and I am not sure if the log needs to be green or seasoned. The mallet was used only in its seasoned state. I know the basket makers in the USA use a mechanical trip hammer.
mallet-ash-1.jpg

Thanks Sean

Will be giving this a try later in the year. Don't know if you remember me but I got you a bacon sarni at the Cranborne Chase Woodfair!!!

Loved your bits and pieces there and wishing I had an ounce of your skill.

Leo

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Yes I do remember the bacon sarni, it was a life saver.
Skill is got from practice, the more you practice, the higher your skill levels, its finding the time that can be the issue.

I have found out that it is best to pound the ash logs when they are green to separate the grain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE