Splicing Nylon Rope?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 17, 2017
cornwall
Is it possible to splice nylon rope ?
I have a tow-rope that parted company, and asked several local fishermen if it could be done.
Most said No, but one said Yes. I won't go into what he did, but splicing it wasn't.
This is a shiny nylon thing, not like a 'normal' nylon 'rope'.
I hope i'll never need it, but the more I talk to people who say it can't be done, the more I know that someone, somewhere can do it.

images later

Last edited by a moderator:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ordinary 3-strand nylon rope is really easy to splice.
You need a big enough fid, 2 colors of masking tape and a sharp knife.
If you can tie your shoelaces, you're over qualified.
KNOTS: The Complete Visual Guide. by Des Pawson The short splice begins on page 347.

Is this rope of yours not the conventional 3-strand construction?
If not, how is it built? Braided? Kernmantle? Woven web strap?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Is it possible to splice nylon rope ?
I have a tow-rope that parted company, and asked several local fishermen if it could be done.
Most said No, but one said Yes. I won't go into what he did, but splicing it wasn't.
This is a shiny nylon thing, not like a 'normal' nylon 'rope'.
I hope i'll never need it, but the more I talk to people who say it can't be done, the more I know that someone, somewhere can do it.

images later

Need the images really. I can splice 3 strand, and put eye splices in each end of my 8 strand climbing rope years ago. Get a mid sized fid and some similar rope and have a try at it, it's quite satisfying, especially on a climbing rope where I completely overdid it because I wanted the security. That rope is over 20 yrs old now, not used for climbing, but I have a length of it in the car and it'll happily pull some weight.

More modern ropes are sleeved with a core of fibre, sort of like paracord with the strands inside. That won't splice, but there are knots that will work. I'd imagine your fisherman used a double fisherman knot. It's a very strong knot, our Prussic loops were tied this way, you can trust your life with them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_fisherman's_knot

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Need the images really. I can splice 3 strand, and put eye splices in each end of my 8 strand climbing rope years ago. Get a mid sized fid and some similar rope and have a try at it, it's quite satisfying, especially on a climbing rope where I completely overdid it because I wanted the security. That rope is over 20 yrs old now, not used for climbing, but I have a length of it in the car and it'll happily pull some weight.

More modern ropes are sleeved with a core of fibre, sort of like paracord with the strands inside. That won't splice, but there are knots that will work. I'd imagine your fisherman used a double fisherman knot. It's a very strong knot, our Prussic loops were tied this way, you can trust your life with them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_fisherman's_knot

Some double braids can be spliced. I splice thimbles into my lowering ropes
Three strand climbing rope sounds so odd these days, is it similar to polysteel?

O.P we need some pics mate

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
If your rope is a double-braid construction, then, for practical purposes it's as well to be aware that once it has been subjected to any sort of significant loading, it is almost impossibly difficult to make a good job of re-splicing it. Been there, tried it many times, with many types of similar ropes...just replace it with an easily spliced bit of unused rope. Even then, get some practise in, beforehand.
Ceeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE