Spikes for shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Here's a trick I'll be trying soon. For those of you as gets tricky-to-deadly icy streets a few times a year, or mud.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Here's a trick I'll be trying soon. For those of you as gets tricky-to-deadly icy streets a few times a year, or mud.

They had them years ago.. clogs, military parade boots, running shoes, hobnail boots.
What goes around, comes around.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Especially given that Inov-8 spiked snow runners might set you back $250 and a handful of screws might cost $4 :)

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
I tried it first with small panel pins hammered into the bottom of my boots and later because getting the pins out proved to be a pain I moved onto self tapping screws, to say yeah it works and works well as long as one remains in the conditions the exercise was entered into for as I can say it can be iffy in conditions where there is nothing underfoot for the metal to bite into, like for instance the polished stone floors of supermarkets. But before I discovered the disadvantage to doing that I had already fitted self tappers to the outside tyre lugs of my my mountain bike tyres to find on ice free pavement banking in a turn can be hairy.

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes, I have Exospikes and dearest wife has Nanospikes. They are like $70 a pair and they aren't absolutely great for running, or even just pegging it, as they move a bit (if they don't actually come off) and you can get ankle injuries in mixed conditions. Spiked shoes are best, but they do cost. This looks like an answer.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
£2 for screws from Halfords or £22 to have Snowbee written on them :lol:

I had been thinking of putting them on fishing boots :)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Wife just broke her wrists last week by falling on it when walking the dog in the morning. It had rained the night before and frozen nicely, required operating, fortunately that seems to have gone ok. She has spiked shoes but did not use them because one can't put them on in the apartment but just by the front door, lazy.

Anyway a lot of people use those removable spike contraptions, they work better than nothing. In the spring starting about these times the melting-freezing daily cycle produces enough Bambi traps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE