spiderlings

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's summer and I don't need much sleep. I was up at three this morning and wandered round the garden with the cat.
I saw something writhing on the very edge of the small shed door and then realised what I was looking at.
It was a hatching of spiderlings; minute little buggits just spinning their first lines.
I got a couple of photos with the camera on flash, this is the best of them. It's a larch lap shed, so that gives an idea of scale. The spiderlings are pinhead sized.

IMG_0189.JPG

Eventually I brushed them off into a dustpan and put them in the hedge. It's a mix of beech, holly and birch, and the birch new growth always seems to attract green and white fly, they'll feed well there :D

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i dont like spiders makes me shiver just looking at that picture yet when im out in the wilderness they dont bother me ,must be a confined space thing i dont know regards dave

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
haha love those little spider babies. especially when they cuddle up in a massive ball and you poke em and it explodes :D the only spiders i have ever picked up without fear was a massive handful of those guys, and i keep tarantulas!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've no idea what specific spider they belong to, all I do know is that these tiny wee ones were yellow bodied with a black dot at the backside.
We get a fair number of spiders, everything from the huge great Atlas ones to the little jumpy black and white striped ones.
Thankfully, I'm not feared of spiders :D Not so keen on fluttery things though :yikes:

cheers,
M

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Detest flies with a passion. Spiders catch, kill and eat flies... therefore like spiders! Quite happy to have their webs all over the house if it reduces the dirty flies...

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Detest flies with a passion. Spiders catch, kill and eat flies... therefore like spiders! Quite happy to have their webs all over the house if it reduces the dirty flies...

My sentiments exactly. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE