Spice kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I like to have options when cooking away from home so made up this spice kit. Wallet and vials bought on eBay...

ae391e54862b97652f71eed7860301a6_zpsbfdf8d1b.jpg

ae354d26aa3673aed5a307f6128e291f_zps16f7f449.jpg

I have...

Salt
Pepper
Steak seasoning
Crushed chillies
Paprika
Garlic
BBQ seasoning
Cumin seed
Mixed herbs
Cardamon pods
Chinese five spice
Ground Ginger
Coriander seeds
Turmeric

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I shove all my specimen tubes full of herbs and spices in a sylnylon bag and although this option adds a lot of bulk, the OCD bit of me really likes the organisation. :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Before this I had glass vials in a small nylon bag but ended up with a couple smashed. Not sure if plastic tubes are as good at sealing in the flavour though?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Excellent work. I like to keep a couple of sweet spices too, like cinnamon or nutmeg for adding to bannock or pancakes, and also cocoa powder. They can also be added to coffee as a warming treat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I change mine out pretty frequently, and haven't noticed any degradation.

The only one that needs care is nutmeg...it literally destroys the plastic :yikes:

I buy the tubes in bulk from cheaplabstuff on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cheaplabs...TRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

One of the Scots also works in a lab and at the end of a research the remaining unused consumables are disposed of. He rescues them brings them along to meet ups and we get a selection :) Makes colour coding easy :)

M

I have been using 1 dram (1/8 fluid ounce) glass vials with phenolic caps. Although the glass is heavier, I did not want to keep my food in plastic if I had other options.

My plan was to craft a leather case with loops, very similar to what ateallthepies shows. But I have been lazy and have yet to make the case. :rolleyes:

One difference from the case in the original post is that I planned to make a single "band" across the interior instead of sewing loops for individual vials.

- Woodsorrel

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I like that a lot very tidy.i too like the camp cooking n take a variety of spices but I just use small seal bags in a little clip top tub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm the Scot with access to the tubes! Old unused stock that is for disposal.. If anyone wants any, let me know by pm.. they are usually between 3-5mls volume, occasionally larger.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Only 1mm wider :). The case is 12mm wide as opposed to 13 for your vials

Ah yes forgot about the bullets brass size!

That 1mm makes quite a difference. I could not get 8 vials in a row without the case bending like a banana so had to cut the middle two loops and sew them back into one loop. This took the pressure off and they lay flat now.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In that case, the laboratory tubes (which come sterile and have really well fitting waterproof caps) might be a better fit.
If this interminable rain ever goes off I'll nip out and measure some.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE