Spetsnaz saperka

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
With the coating burnt off the spade it can be used for cooking on and eating from.
Can you cook fried eggs on a digging stick. Many uses from one little light spade.
Topknot.

I know the cold steel one is, and would not be surprised if all are, would you not ruin the heat treating doing that?

Isn't that what most call the Spetsnaz throwing shovel? One of the better designs of a range of weird unarmed combat weapons like the 4 shot .22 combat knife or spring launched knife blade.

Cold steel were making them I think. Not sure if there cheap though.

Other way round I think, it is the normal army shovel, which the special forces use in other ways.

Price on Cold Steel site, $34.99.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I wouldnt go to the bother of putting an edge on something then going digging with it.

Ill stick to my folding entrenching tool.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I wouldnt go to the bother of putting an edge on something then going digging with it.

Ill stick to my folding entrenching tool.

that is designed to be sharpened and should indeed have various saw edged serations on it. the digging point is left as is, one side is generally a saw the other a chopping edge :)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Where did your bro actually get it? Russ military? They look quite good. I've been looking for a decent small fixed shovel, ever since I got my hand trapped in my folding entrenching tool...kind stupid I know...but when your in a hurry it happens.

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Hi, I have one of these shovels, and they do dig well, and as mentioned, if sharpened they can be used as axes (plus they hold their edge nicely!).

I used to work at a paintball site and used mine for felling a few minor dead trees and digging an MG nest and a small section of trench!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I used to work at a paintball site and used mine for felling a few minor dead trees and digging an MG nest and a small section of trench!

Spetsnaz senior command had ordered that their best operatives infiltrate the sites used by paintballers in order to learn the specialized tree felling and machine gun nest and trench digging techniques!

This is the real reason why the Soviet Armed Forces never dared to attack this country! (o:

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
This is the real reason why the Soviet Armed Forces never dared to attack this country! (o:

Well, I wasn't going to say anything... ;)

On topic... They are handle little things to have knocking about, real sturdy kit!

I picked mine up for £20 from a website (which I cannot remember, sadly) early last year.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
How tough are they? Im thinking of getting one off rusmilitary.com. Apparently the cold steel one is only 2mm thick

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
How tough are they? Im thinking of getting one off rusmilitary.com. Apparently the cold steel one is only 2mm thick

Mine's pretty rugged, in fairness, it's just as good as any other trenching tool out there!
Personally, I chose mine as I prefer fixed handled tools to folding ones. The blade/head is 2mm thick and the shovel has a total length of 50cm.

Contrary to popular belief, Russian military kit IS really hard wearing!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Mine's pretty rugged, in fairness, it's just as good as any other trenching tool out there!
Personally, I chose mine as I prefer fixed handled tools to folding ones. The blade/head is 2mm thick and the shovel has a total length of 50cm.

Contrary to popular belief, Russian military kit IS really hard wearing!

Yeah, were not talking about buying submarines here...;) God rest there souls. A shovel is a pretty simple piece of kit and yeah I like the fixed ones. If people reckon there pretty hardwearing then I'll get hold of one as soon as I can decide where to get it from. Knowing cold steel, there probarbly just the same as the rusmilitary ones, only more expensive. Although rus military makes out everything is genuine all the time, where its obvious some of it is just cheap chinese copies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE