SPEEDHOOK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
How many people have see or even used a speedhook?

sph990a.jpg

Description:

"the device is a spring-loaded trap that sets the hook the moment a fish or small game animal takes the bait. No pole is required for survival fishing, but the Speedhook works quite well from cane poles to casting rods. Reusable for endless fishing trips and extremely small for packing in survival vests. Works in all fishing areas, including ice fishing! It makes you an expert fisherman even if you have never put a pole in the water. Authorized equipment for USAF SERE, Navy Seals, Coast Guard and Special Ops survival kits."

I have been looking into the legality of them here in the UK and it appears that provided you are not setting it in a manner that is already illegal for any fish hook (night lines etc) there is no problem fishing with one in the uk (as long as you are conforming to your local bylaws)

the British Disabled Anglers Association are currently looking into them for disabled fishing

the speedhook will also catch squirrels, birds etc when used on land but using it for this would BE ILLEGAL IN THE UK

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Have you found an outlet for them in the UK Stuart?

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I used a speedhook for the unpublished and unfinished fishing kit review @ equipped :oops: They are VERY effective and part of some US military survival kits. They are also illegal in several states over here. If there is any disadvantage, it is size VS a good collection of hooks,sinkers etc. The best place to buy them here is Exploration Products in Washington State www.epcamps.com They were on sale last time I looked. Fine folks to deal with.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I ordered some from ecamps (along with some other gear) unfortunatly their good Service does not seem to extend to the UK where my gear never arrived and ecamps informed me it was not their problem.
(it may of course have been a one off problem but i havent ordered from them again)

I got them from brigade quartermasters in the end, and they arrived quickly

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Charming! :shock: Thanks for the heads-up on that one.

Stuart said:
I ordered some from ecamps (along with some other gear) unfortunatly their good Service does not seem to extend to the UK where my gear never arrived and ecamps informed me it was not their problem.

S

speedhook

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

leon-1

Bam, yep you are correct, I deleted it for the self promotion rule, my apologies speedhook, I was about to send a PM to you to explain when I got called away, so my fault for not explaining.

I will send you a PM a little later.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
You will find that in virtually all areas of the UK that these are illegal to use.

If you are not in a life or death survival situation, or a disabled angler with limited mobility (and if you are bushcrafting, you clearly are not) why exactly do need to use these items?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Speedhook, Not a surprise really that it got deleted. Resurrecting a thread that is over two years old in order to self promote :rolleyes: .

The really funny part is that since the original post was made Stuart DID start importing them, it was he that started Tregor/Tradingpost. :lmao:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
OK this is bizarre........ Ladies and gentlemen prepare if you will to journey with me to the TWILIGHT ZONE where you will experience first hand the dangers of time travel!!! :lmao:

I travelled up to Yorkshire yesterday (all strange tales start with a person travelling to deepest Yorkshire) to visit the Altberg factory and get the uppers made for by jungle boot design, whilst I was away this thread which has been closed for over 2 years was reopened and Leon rightly deleted a post made by SPEEDHOOK which read:

SPEEDHOOK said:
stuart said:
No I tried to find one in the UK for ages but there isnt one. I got some from the US

If there is enough intrest for them in the UK I'll import them

My name is Randall Williams from Speedhook.
Here is the Information for speedhook in the UK and Ireland

*** deleted (my families company website address, e-mail address and phone number) ***

For sales worldwide excluding UK and Ireland

*** Deleated the website address for Speedhook in the US and E-mail address****

I have edited the above post to remove advertising

when I returned home I checked my E-mail and found a mysterious mail in my BushcraftUK moderators E-mail area, which read:

Sent: 27 April 2006 00:09
To: Stuart@bushcraftuk.com
Subject: Delete of post

Someone deleted my post. There were questions on where to get the speedhook from. I listed the company that has exclusivity in the UK and then the factory direct. What was the problem with that and how many times does the manufacturer join your site to give out this info????
Randy

my reply explains the rest of this convoluted time travel tale:

Sent: 28 April 2006 19:52
To: 'admin@speedhook.com'
Subject: RE: Delete of post

Hello Randy

This E-mail had me very confused at first, but now that I have found the post you refer to it is starting to make sense.

You're going to like the explanation for this; it's a bit of a brain bender this one, like something from the story line of a low budget time travel movie.

There are a couple of things you need to know before this is going to make sense:

• my family own the company which currently holds the distribution contract for speedhooks in the United kingdom and Ireland

• The post you replied to was made in 2004 by me, before I contacted you on behalf of my family to start importing speedhooks

The rules on BushcraftUK state that you cannot make posts with regards to your own products or services unless you are answering a direct question from a member of the public.

However the moderators at BushcraftUK regularly have to remove posts where companies have tried to get around this rule by fraudulently posing as a member of the public asking a question on the forum then using a separate account to answer their own question, thereby promoting their product on the forums where it is seen by thousands of people.

This is where it gets confusing, technically you haven’t broken the rules since your post answers a direct question from someone who ‘at the time’ was a member of the public, however since that post was made (over two years ago) a family member of the person who originally asked the question has become the distributor of the product.

So reading though the thread on the forum it now appears that I am asking a question about my own families company and you the manufacturer are then answering the question and advertising my families company. Which of course is against the rules and looks bad for me since my job as a moderator on BushcraftUK is supposed to be upholding those rules.

You were obviously unaware of the identity of the person whose question you where replying to and did not intend to breach the rules, its one of the side effects of answering questions from the forums archives which are several years old.

SO in short, you have broken the rules and at the same time you haven’t. Does that make sense? it’s a time travel paradox but at least we didn’t cause a tear in the fabric of space time and cause the collapse of the internet universe!!!

I hope its all clear now

All the best

Stuart

So there you have it, that’s why you shouldn’t travel back in time and answer posts made many years ago, but if you absolutely must answer old questions make sure you know the identity of the person asking the question before you post.

Go on read it again, it will make sense the second time around :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE