Speedhook advice ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I am currently using a couple of speedhook fishing kits when out and about for brown trout .Have been setting them around 12 - 18 inches from an old wine cork, as they dont like being on the bottom . Success has been very hit and miss . Anybody out there with experience of said speedhook that could offer some advice ?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
As far as I'm aware mate Speedhook aren't legal in this country unless you are registered disabled so I doubt many people here will have used them much.

I've got a few sets but haven't had a chance to try them out yet....I'm hoping to use them in Sweden next year.

Sorry I can't help,

Bam. :)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I'll second Bambodoggy's caution about using these things in British waters. I'm not absolutely certain, but I'm pretty sure that the use of this type of spring loaded hook is illegal in any circumstance. I am certain that to leave them to fish for themselves (as they were designed to be used) IS most definitely illegal in the UK. Used in this manner they would be considered to be "Set Lines" or "Night Lines" and you would be leaving yourself open to prosecution and a pretty hefty fine (and criminal record) if found using them.

As a survival tool they no-doubt have their uses, but as with so many techniques and methods that might be of real use if you were in a desperate, life-or-death survival situation, you are unable to practice "just in case" within the UK without falling foul of the law.

If you have permission to fish the waters you are using, and the method is allowed, I'd stick to ledgering a worm for trout. Fishing for trout is often so easy with bait that it is mostly considered "unsporting". This is why the art of fly fishing was developed. Not because it is the best way to catch trout, but because it is a more "sporting" option than offering them a juicy worm that they can hardly ever resist.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I am certain that to leave them to fish for themselves (as they were designed to be used)
Actually they were designed to be used with a rod and line. They were invented by a guy who had an artificial shoulder joint who was unable to 'set' the hook when the fishy came along.... this does the job for you.

Stuart and myself have both spoken to the EA over the legality of this product and the official response was.... They don't know!!!!..... No help what so ever:(

"If" they are legal, then they would only be legal with a rod and line.

Ed

I thinks there's northing wrong with practising with your equipment, especially with skills which can provide food in a situation when you really need this.

I think the best thing is to practise these kind of skills alone, or with a good mate.

What is the use of having equipment and not having the skills of using them?

I have bought a pair of these in Finland last year, have not use them at the moment but use them next year in March when we are going back to finnish Lapland for ice fishing. I am sitting near the fire and the hooks are in the water.

Before March, you can sure I have caught some fish with in the Netherlands!

Penvisser

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Thanks for the legal advice . I will keep that in mind and use the old addage " A secret is no longer a secret if 2 people know about it "
Still not much further forward on best method though.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
The environment agency representatives we spoke to looked though every inch of the law for an possible reason to declare these illegal when used in conjunction with a rod, there conclusion was that there was no actual law that prohibited there use in combination with a rod, they would not however make any statement that the were therefore legal :confused:

Keeping the above in mind and taking into account that the following instructions are without doubt absolutely forbidden under British law, these methods be the solution to your problem:

fishsnare.jpg

fishsnare2.jpg

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I stand corrected (and not for ther first time! ) I had not seen this particular item "in the flesh" before and assumed that it was one of those gizmos that RM used for his ice fishing on a show once. Those seemed to be a device that actually snapped shut on the fish's mouth from what I could make out. They were obviously made for use with "set-lines" and seemed pretty effective at it too.
The Speedhook looks to me like an idea that would be ideal for a disabled person or complete novice to try, as long as it was with rod and line.

Personally I think it's a shame that there are so many practices that we in the UK are banned from by law, but setting night lines is not one that I miss at all. As a lifelong angler (and former fisheries head bailiff) I view them as a poachers tool and see no reason for them to be legal (which they are not) However, if push came to shove, (i.e. a true survival situation) and me or mine were going hungry I know that I'd happily use any trick or trade going to "bring home the bacon".

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Further to Stuart's excellent diagram of one of the ways they can be used, here is a pic of the actual thing to show you all exactly what they are:

speedhook1a.jpg

I got mine from Randal (Speedhook's owner) over in the states but it was a real pain to do so and I'm not sure he'd ship to the UK again after all the trouble customs gave us! lol

Now, I know Stuart can't self promote on here so as a thanks for his taking the time to draw that diagram I am happy to tell you that as far as I know Stuart is the sole UK importer of these things and can no doubt sell them to you if you want them.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

(Edit: here's a link: http://www.tregor.co.uk/speedhook.htm )

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
scanker said:
What makes them special, or for that matter, speedy? From the diagrams I can't really see how they work?

Neil,

If you have a close look you’ll see the speedhook looks a bit like a clotheshanger. The 2 arms you see are made out of some stiff wire. You fold / bent the legs to each other and fasten it with the trigger (in Bam’s pic on the right) – which is attached to a length of fishing line / wire and hook.
The fish goes for the baited hook, releases the trigger and the wire legs re-take their original position as you see in the picture (middle), result: fish hooked itself.

The speedy bit is in the fact the fish gets hooked instantly when it goes for the bait.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE